Frequency of under-corrected refractive errors in elderly Chinese in Beijing
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the study was to evaluate the prevalence of under-corrected refractive error among elderly Chinese in the Beijing area.
The population-based, cross-sectional, cohort study comprised 4,439 subjects out of 5,324 subjects asked to participate (response rate 83.4%) with an age of 40+ years. It was divided into a rural part [1,973 (44.4%) subjects] and an urban part [2,466 (55.6%) subjects]. Habitual and best-corrected visual acuity was measured. Under-corrected refractive error was defined as an improvement in visual acuity of the better eye of at least two lines with best possible refractive correction.
The rate of under-corrected refractive error was 19.4% (95% confidence interval, 18.2, 20.6). In a multiple regression analysis, prevalence and size of under-corrected refractive error in the better eye was significantly associated with lower level of education (P<0.001), female gender (P<0.001), and age (P=0.001).
Under-correction of refractive error is relatively common among elderly Chinese in the Beijing area when compared with data from other populations.
- Foran, S, Rose, K, Wang, JJ, Mitchell, P (2002) Correctable visual impairment in an older population: the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Am J Ophthalmol 134: pp. 712-719 CrossRef
- Klaver, CC, Wolfs, RC, Vingerling, JR, Hofman, A, Jong, PTVM (1998) Age-specific prevalence and causes of blindness and visual impairment in an older population: The Rotterdam Study. Arch Ophthalmol 116: pp. 653-658
- Liou, HL, McCarty, CA, Jin, CL, Taylor, HR (1999) Prevalence and predictors of under-corrected refractive errors in the Victorian population. Am J Ophthalmol 127: pp. 590-596 CrossRef
- Michon, JJ, Lau, J, Chan, WS, Ellwein, LB (2002) Prevalence of visual impairment, blindness, and cataract surgery in the Hong Kong elderly. Br J Ophthalmol 86: pp. 133-139 CrossRef
- Saw, SM, Foster, PJ, Gazzard, G, Friedman, D, Hee, J, Seah, S (2004) Under-corrected refractive error in Singaporean Chinese adults. Ophthalmology 111: pp. 2168-2174 CrossRef
- Xu, L, Li, J, Cui, T, Hu, A, Zheng, Y, Li, Y, Sun, B, Ma, B, Jonas, JB (2005) Visual acuity in Northern China in an urban and rural population. The Beijing Eye Study. Br J Ophthalmol 89: pp. 1089-1093 CrossRef
- Xu L, Li J, Zheng Y, Cui T, Zhu J, Ma K, Yang H, Ma B, Jonas JB (2005) Intraocular pressure in Northern China in an urban and rural population. The Beijing Eye Study. Am J Ophthalmol (in press)
- Xu, L, Li, J, Cui, T, Hu, A, Fan, G, Zhang, R, Yang, H, Sun, B, Jonas, JB (2005) Refractive error in urban and rural adult Chinese in Beijing. Ophthalmology 112: pp. 1676-1683 CrossRef
- Frequency of under-corrected refractive errors in elderly Chinese in Beijing
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 244, Issue 7 , pp 871-873
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Refractive error
- Visual impairment
- Poor vision
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Ophthalmology and Eye Hospital, Tongren Hospital, Beijing, People's Republic of China
- 2. Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany