Reactive lymphoid hyperplasia one month after LASIK surgery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To describe a case of reactive lymphoid hyperplasia following laser assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK).
This observational case report describes a 31-year-old man who underwent LASIK and presented 1 month later with a fleshy, conjunctival (plical) tumour in the left eye. An excisional biopsy of the tumour was performed.
Histopathology of the excised tumour revealed reactive lymphoid hyperplasia involving the left conjunctiva.
Conjunctival lymphomas can masquerade as chronic conjunctivitis and can be preceded by reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. It is important to identify and differentiate these tumours. This report describes the unusual occurrence of a lymphoid conjunctival tumour after LASIK eye surgery.
- Coupland SE, Krause L, Delecluse HJ et al (1998) Lymphoproliferative lesions of the ocular adnexa. Analysis of 112 cases. Ophthalmology 105:1430–1441 CrossRef
- Davis E, Hardten D, Lindstrom R (2000) LASIK complications. Int Ophthalmol Clin 40:67–75 CrossRef
- Lee D, Sohn H, Park S, Kang Y (2001) Bilateral conjunctival mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma misdiagnosed as allergic conjunctivitis. Cornea 20:427–429 CrossRef
- Mannami T, Yoshino T, Oshima K et al (2001) Clinical, histopathological and immunogenetic analysis of ocular adnexal lymphoproliferative disorders: characterization of malt lymphoma and reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. Mod Pathol 14:641–649 CrossRef
- Ruiz-Morino JM, Alio JL (2003) Incidence of retinal disease following refractive surgery in 9,239 eyes. J Refr Surg 19:534–547
- Sharara N, Holden JT, Wojno TH, Feinberg AS, Grossniklaus HE (2003) Adnexal lymphoid proliferations: clinical, histologic, flow cytometric, and molecular analysis of forty-three cases. Ophthalmology 110:1245–1254 CrossRef
- Takada S, Yoshino T, Taniwaki M et al (2000) Involvement of the chromosomal translocation t (11:18) in some mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphomas and diffuse large B-cell lymphomas of the ocular adnexa. Mod Path 16:445–452 CrossRef
- Weiss H, Rubinfeld R, Anderschat J (2001) LASIK-associated visual field loss in a glaucoma suspect. Arch Ophthalmol 119:774–775
- Wotherspoon AC, Diss TC, Pan LX et al (1993) Primary low grade B-cell lymphoma of the conjunctiva: a mucosa-associated lymphoid type lymphoma. Histopathology 23:417–424 CrossRef
- Yeung L, Tsao Y, Chen P, Kuo T, Lin K, Lai L (2004) Combination of adult inclusion conjunctivitis and mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) lymphoma in a young adult. Cornea 23:7 CrossRef
- Reactive lymphoid hyperplasia one month after LASIK surgery
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 244, Issue 4 , pp 529-531
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The New York Eye Cancer Center, 115 East 61st Street, New york, NY, 10021, USA
- 3. New York University School of Medicine, New York, USA
- 2. The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York, USA