A case of primary botryoid conjunctival rhabdomyosarcoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Rhabdomyosarcoma is the most common childhood primary orbital malignancy, but the occurrence of this tumour in the conjunctiva is rare.
A 14-year-old girl presented with a visible case of conjunctival mass in the left eye. The year before, the patient was referred to another hospital for a biopsy of a conjunctival mesenchymal tumour in the same site, which was periodically checked after the excision. We intervened by partially removing the conjunctival mass.
The histopathology revealed a botryoid rhabdomyosarcoma. The patient underwent chemotherapy and fractionated radiotherapy. The follow-up after three years revealed that the patient remained clinically tumor-free, with no ocular complication from the radiotherapy.
It is evident that by not excising the tumour in its entirety it is therefore possible to preserve the underlying rectus muscles and not interfere with ocular motility. Subsequent radiotherapy and chemotherapy helped to destroy any residual tumour. Alternatively, surgical excision of the mass alone could lead to recurrence of the tumour after some months or years.
- Brichard, B, Potter, P, Godfraind, C (2003) Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma presenting as conjunctival tumour. J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 25: pp. 651-652 CrossRef
- Cameron, JD, Wick, MR (1986) Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma of the conjunctiva: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study. Arch Ophthalmol 104: pp. 1203-1204
- Levy, MR (1968) Subconjunctival rhabdomyosarcoma. Am J Ophthalmol 65: pp. 452-454
- Sekundo, W, Roggenkamper, P, Fisher, HP (1998) Primary conjunctival rhabdomyosarcoma: 2.5 years’ follow up after combined chemotherapy and brachytherapy. Graefe Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 236: pp. 873-875 CrossRef
- Shields, CL, Shields, JA, Honavar, SG (2001) Clinical spectrum of primary ophthalmic rhabdomyosarcoma. Ophthalmology 108: pp. 2284-2292 CrossRef
- Shields, JA, Bakewell, B, Augsburger, J (1986) Space-occupying orbital masses in children. A review of 250 consecutive biopsies. Ophthalmology 93: pp. 379-384
- Taylor, SF, Yen, KG, Zhou, H (2002) Primary conjunctival rhabdomyosarcoma. Arch Ophthalmol 120: pp. 668-669
- A case of primary botryoid conjunctival rhabdomyosarcoma
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 244, Issue 4 , pp 517-519
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors