Recurrent retinal vein occlusion after playing a wind instrument
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To present a complication of repeated Valsalva maneuver.
Case report with serial intravenous fluorescein angiography and comprehensive workup for coagulopathies.
After playing strenuous musical pieces, a solo trombonist suffered within 1 year three attacks of visual loss in the right eye; he had two attacks of inferior hemi-central retinal vein occlusion 2 months apart, followed by central retinal vein occlusion 10 months later. Final best spectacle-corrected visual acuity was 6/60. He ended his professional career, and no further attacks occurred in the following 10 years.
Retinal vein occlusion with irreversible visual loss can occur after playing a strenuous piece of music on a high-resistance instrument.
- Aydin P, Oram O, Akman A, Dursun D (2000) Effect of wind instrument playing on intraocular pressure. J Glaucoma 9:322–324
- Dickerman RD, Smith GH, Langham-Roof L, McConathy WJ, East JW, Smith AB (1999) Intra-ocular pressure changes during maximal isometric contraction. Does this reflect intra-cranial pressure or retinal venous pressure? Neurol Res 21:243–246
- Hayreh SS, Hayreh MS (1980) Hemi-central retinal vein occulsion. Pathogenesis, clinical features, and natural history. Arch Ophthalmol 98:1600–1609
- Hayreh SS, Zimmerman MB, Podhajsky P (1994) Incidence of various types of retinal vein occlusion and their recurrence and demographic characteristics. Am J Ophthalmol 117:429–441
- Khan JC, Hughes EH, Tom BD, Diamond JP (2002) Pulsatile ocular blood flow: the effect of the valsalva manoeuver in open angle and normal tension glaucoma: a case report and prospective study. Br J Ophthalmol 86:1089–1092 CrossRef
- Klein R, Klein B, Moss SE (2000) The epidemiology of retinal vein occlusion: the Beaver Dam Eye Study. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 98:133–136
- Kocak N, Kaynak S, Kaynak T, Oner HF, Cingil G (2003) Unilateral Purtscher-like retinopathy after weight-lifting. Eur J Ophthalmol 13:395–397
- Liu S, Hayden GF (2002) Maladies in musicians. Southern Med J 95:727–734
- Lockwood AH (1989) Medical problems of musicians. N Engl J Med 320:221–227
- Pott F, van Lieshout JJ, Ide K, Madsen P, Secher NH (2000) Middle cerebral artery blood velocity during a valsalva maneuver in the standing position. J Appl Physiol 88:1545–1550
- Pratikto TH, Zwetschke V, Goyen M, Kroger K (2002) Recurrent exercise induced subclavian vein thrombosis in a conductor. Vasa 31:209–211
- Schipper I (1991) Valsalvamanöver: Nicht immer gutartig. Klin Mbl Augenheilkd 198:457–459
- Schuman JS, Massicotte EC, Connolly S, Herzmark E, Mukherji B, Kunen MZ (2000) Increased intraocular pressure and visual field defects in high resistance wind instrument players. Ophthalmology 107:127–133 CrossRef
- Recurrent retinal vein occlusion after playing a wind instrument
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 242, Issue 5 , pp 428-431
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links