Refractive changes in pregnancy
- Louis D. Pizzarello
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine the causes of any vision change reported during pregnancy.
An obstetrical practice in Southampton, New York.
Two hundred forty pregnant women were asked whether they had any alteration in vision. Those who agreed to take part in the study (83) and who complained of vision changes (12) were matched with the next patient seen in the practice who was asymptomatic.
All patients underwent a complete ophthalmic examination, including refraction. Those who had alterations in vision status were seen again after delivery.
Main outcome measures
Changes in visual acuity and refractive error during pregnancy.
All women who complained of visual changes were found to have experienced a myopic shift from pre-pregnancy levels. (0.87±0.3 diopters in the right eye (P<0.0001) and 0.98±0.3 diopters in the left eye (P<0.0001). Post partum, all subjects returned to near pre-pregnancy levels of myopia.
This report links worsening of myopia to pregnancy. The causes of this myopic shift are not readily evident and merit further investigation.
- Christian, (2001) Am J Clin Nutr 73: pp. 1045
- Duke-Elder S (1976) System of ophthalmology. Mosby, St Louis
- Gavan, (1989) Rev Chir Oncol Radiol O R L Oftalmol Stomatol Ser Oftalmol 33: pp. 271
- Hilton, (1958) Am J Optom Arch Am Acad Optom 35: pp. 117
- Manges, (1987) Am J Optom Physiol Opt 64: pp. 159
- Offret, (1980) J Fr Ophtalmol 3: pp. 679
- Soni, (1980) Am J Optom Physiol Optics 57: pp. 825
- Soni, (1982) Am J Optom Physiol Optics 59: pp. 199
- Sunness, (1988) Surv Ophthalmol 32: pp. 219
- Vaughan D, Asbury T (1974) General ophthalmology. Lange, Los Altos, California
- Wang FM (1984) Perinatal ophthalmology. In: Duane TD, Jaeger EA (eds) Clinical ophthalmology. Harper and Row, Philadelphia
- Weinreb, (1987) Obstet Gynecol Surv 42: pp. 471
- Weinstock, (1971) JAMA 217: pp. 1245
- Refractive changes in pregnancy
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 241, Issue 6 , pp 484-488
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Louis D. Pizzarello (A1) (A2) (A3)
- Author Affiliations
- A1. 137 Hampton Road, Southampton, NY 11968, USA
- A2. Department of Ophthalmology, Southampton Hospital, Southampton, New York, USA
- A3. E.S. Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA