Does fingolimod in multiple sclerosis patients cause macular edema?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a demyelinating disease of the central nervous system and is the common cause of optic neuritis. Fingolimod, an immunosuppressive agent, is used in MS to prevent acute exacerbations. We report a case of relapsing–remitting MS treated with fingolimod. The patient presented with an acute decrease in vision in the left eye. Eye examination showed clinical macular edema (ME) in the left eye, which was confirmed on fluorescein angiogram and optical coherence tomography (OCT). After discontinuation of fingolimod and treatment with topical corticosteroid medication, there was complete resolution of the ME. The ME as a side-effect of fingolimod is reversible after discontinuing, which was seen on OCT.
- Derwenskus, J (2011) Current disease—modifying treatment of multiple sclerosis. Mt Sinai J Med 78: pp. 161-175 CrossRef
- Huggins A, Sergott RC (2011) Background and rationale for mechanism of action, efficacy, and safety of fingolimod (Gilenya), the first oral therapy for remitting–relapsing multiple sclerosis: with special emphasis upon visual safety. Curr Opin Ophthalmol Sep 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Comi, G, O’Connor, P, Montalban, X, Antel, J, Radue, EW, Karlsson, G, Pohlmann, H, Aradhye, S, Kappos, L (2010) Phase II study of oral fingolimod (FTY720) in multiple sclerosis: 3-year results. Mult Scler 16: pp. 197-207 CrossRef
- [No authors listed] (2009) Trial watch: Phase III promise for oral multiple sclerosis therapy Nat Rev Drug Discov 8:98
- Chun, J, Brinkmann, V (2011) A mechanistically novel, first oral therapy for multiple sclerosis: the development of fingolimod (FTY720, Gilenya). Discov Med 12: pp. 213-228
- Yeh, EA, Weinstock-Guttman, B (2011) Fingolimod: an oral disease—modifying therapy for relapsing multiple sclerosis. Adv Ther 28: pp. 270-278 CrossRef
- Saab, G, Almony, A, Blinder, KJ, Schuessler, R, Brennan, DC (2008) Reversible cystoid macular edema secondary to fingolimod in a renal transplant recipient. Arch Ophthalmol 126: pp. 140-141 CrossRef
- Chun, J, Hartung, HP (2010) Mechanism of action of oral fingolimod (FTY720) in multiple sclerosis. Clin Neuropharmacol 33: pp. 91-101 CrossRef
- Kappos, L, Radue, EW, O’Connor, P (2010) A placebo-controlled trial of oral fingolimod in relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med 362: pp. 387-401 CrossRef
- Does fingolimod in multiple sclerosis patients cause macular edema?
Journal of Neurology
Volume 259, Issue 2 , pp 386-388
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Multiple sclerosis
- Macular edema
- Industry Sectors