Radiographic assessment of age from epiphyseal fusion at knee joint
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We read with interest the recently published article entitled “Radiographic analysis of epiphyseal fusion at knee joint to assess likelihood of having attained 18 years of age”  and wish to congratulate the authors for presenting a radiographic scoring system to estimate the likelihood of an individual having attained 18 years of age from the assessment of epiphyseal union at the knee joint.
Estimation of age is one of the foremost criteria in the evaluation of unknown and commingled human remains . Age estimation in living as well as dead may clarify issues with significant legal and social ramifications for individuals as well as for the community . Estimation of the age of living individuals is an essential task in civil issues and criminal cases where the exact liability needs to be established. In Indian scenario, the age cutoff of 18 years is of special significance. In Indian criminal laws, as per the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 20 ...
- Cameriere R, Cingolani M, Giuliodori A, De Luca S, Ferrante L (2012) Radiographic analysis of epiphyseal fusion at knee joint to assess likelihood of having attained 18 years of age. Int J Legal Med 126:889–899
- Chandrakanth HV, Kanchan T, Krishan K, Arun M, Pramod Kumar GN (2012) Estimation of age from human sternum: an autopsy study on a sample from South India. Int J Legal Med 126:863–868
- Ritz-Timme S, Cattaneo C, Collins MJ, Waite ER, Schütz HW, Kaatsch HJ, Borrman HI (2000) Age estimation: the state of the art in relation to the specific demands of forensic practice. Int J Legal Med 113:129–136 CrossRef
- Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000. http://www.lawzonline.com/bareacts/juvenile-justice-care-and-protection-of-children-act/juvenile-justice-care-and-protection-of-children-act.html. Accessed on August 28, 2012.
- Indian Penal Code, 1860. http://www.lawzonline.com/bareacts/indian-penal-code/section299-377-indian-penal-code.html. Accessed on August 28, 2012
- The Transplantation Of Human Organs Act, 1994. http://india.gov.in/allimpfrms/allacts/2606.pdf. Accessed on August 28, 2012
- Vij K (2011) Text book of forensic medicine and toxicology—principles and practice, 5th edn. Elsevier, New Delhi
- Patil ST, Parchand MP, Meshram MM, Kamdi NY (2012) Applicability of Greulich and Pyle skeletal age standards to Indian children. Forensic Sci Int 216:1–3, 200.e1–4 CrossRef
- Krogman WM (1962) The human skeleton in forensic medicine, 1st edn. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield
- Radiographic assessment of age from epiphyseal fusion at knee joint
International Journal of Legal Medicine
Volume 127, Issue 4 , pp 839-841
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors