Death by hanging while watching violent pornographic videos on the Internet—suicide or accidental autoerotic death?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In deaths by hanging, it may sometimes be difficult to differentiate between autoerotic accident and suicide. Our report deals with a 30-year-old man who was found hanged in the living room of his flat. The deceased was wearing headphones connected to a PC. Within the deceased's view was a computer screen showing the last picture of a video file downloaded from the Internet with the head of an unclothed, allegedly hanged female. The deceased's left hand was inside his trousers in the genital region. The autopsy did not only show findings typical for hanging, but also advanced sarcoidosis, which was known to the victim. Although this basic illness could have been a possible motive for suicide, the circumstances in the presented case pointed more in the direction of an accidental autoerotic death. As far as we know, this is the first description of a death during autoerotic activity in which sexual stimulation was achieved by watching a video file downloaded from the Internet.
- Alao AO, Yolles JC, Armenta W (1999) Cybersuicide: the internet and suicide. Am J Psychiatr 156:1836–1837
- Behrendt N, Modvig J (1995) The lethal paraphiliac syndrome. Accidental autoerotic deaths in Denmark 1933–1990. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 16:232–237 CrossRef
- Breitmeier D, Passie T, Mansouri F, Albrecht K, Kleemann WJ (2002) Autoerotic accident associated with self-applied ketamine. Int J Leg Med 116:113–116 CrossRef
- Bohnert M, Faller-Marquardt M, Lutz S, Amberg R, Weisser HJ, Pollak S (2001) Transfer of biological traces in cases of hanging and ligature strangulation. Forensic Sci Int 116:107–115 CrossRef
- Henry RC (1971) “Sex” hangings in females. Med-Leg Bull 20:1–5
- Karger B, Vennemann B (2001) Suicide by more than 90 stab wounds including perforation of the skull. Int J Leg Med 115:167–169 CrossRef
- Karger B, Billeb E, Koops E, Brinkmann B (2002) Autopsy features relevant for the discrimination between suicidal and homicidal gunshot injuries. Int J Leg Med 116:273–278
- Madea B, Henßge C, Roth H (1987) Vortäuschung eines Suizides unter dem Bild eines autoerotischen Unfalls zur Verdeckung eines Tötungsdeliktes. Arch Kriminol 179:149–153
- Naeve W (1974) Selbstmorde und Tötungsdelikte unter Vortäuschung eines autoerotischen Unfalls. Arch Kriminol 154:145–149
- Naeve W, Wittram S (1977) Tödliche autoerotische Unfälle. VVW, Karlsruhe
- Pollak S, Saukko P (2003) Atlas of forensic medicine. Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Rajagopal S (2004) Suicide pacts and the Internet. Complete strangers make cyberspace pacts. BMJ 329:1298–1299 CrossRef
- Rothschild MA, Potente S (2001) Abschiedsbrief per SMS. Rechtsmedizin 11:94–95 CrossRef
- Rothschild MA, Schneider V (1997) Über zwei autoerotische Unfälle: Tödliche Lachgasnarkose und Thoraxkompression. Arch Kriminol 200:65–72
- Schmidt U, Faller-Marquardt M, Tatschner T, Walter K, Pollak S (2004) Cuts to the offenders's own hand—unintentional self-infliction in the course of knife attacks. Int J Leg Med 118:348–354 CrossRef
- Seidl S (2004) Accidental autoerotic death. A review on the lethal paraphiliac syndrome. Forensic Pathol Rev 1:235–262
- Wehner F, Gawatz O (2003) Suizidale Eibenintoxikation—von Caesar bis heute—oder: Suizidanleitung im Internet. Arch Kriminol 211:19–26
- Death by hanging while watching violent pornographic videos on the Internet—suicide or accidental autoerotic death?
International Journal of Legal Medicine
Volume 120, Issue 2 , pp 110-114
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Autoerotic accident
- Lethal paraphiliac syndrome
- Industry Sectors