Plasma N-terminal Pro-brain Natriuretic Peptide: A Prognostic Marker in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Plasma N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels are elevated in patients with secondary pulmonary hypertension and chronic lung disease with right ventricular overload. The aim of the present study was to investigate the use of plasma NT-proBNP levels as a prognostic marker of severe COPD with chronic respiratory failure and latent pulmonary hypertension.
Plasma NT-proBNP levels were measured in 61 patients with stable COPD. Plasma NT-proBNP levels, pulmonary function, PaO2, and PaCO2 levels and systolic pulmonary artery pressure were compared according to COPD severity. In addition, we examined correlations between plasma NT-proBNP levels and pulmonary function, PaO2, PaCO2, and systolic pulmonary artery pressure.
The levels of plasma NT-proBNP significantly increased in patients with stage IV and stage III COPD compared to individuals with stage II COPD according to the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) classification. The area under the receiver-operating characteristic curve of plasma NT-proBNP for severe to very severe COPD (FEV1 < 50%) was 0.707 (95% confidence interval [CI] 0.566–0.847, P = 0.008). Plasma NT-proBNP levels significantly correlated with %FEV1 (r = −0.557; P < 0.001), arterial blood gas parameters such as PaCO2 (r = 0.476; P < 0.001) and PaO2 (r = −0.347; P = 0.031), and systolic pulmonary artery pressure (r = 0.435; P = 0.001).
Plasma NT-proBNP levels increased significantly with disease severity, progression of chronic respiratory failure, and secondary pulmonary hypertension in patients with stable COPD. These results suggest that plasma NT-proBNP can be a useful prognostic marker to monitor COPD progression and identify cases of secondary pulmonary hypertension in patients with stable COPD.
- Sudoh, T, Minamino, N, Kangawa, K, Matsuo, H (1998) Brain natriuretic peptide-32: N-terminal six amino acid extended form of brain natriuretic peptide identified in porcine brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 155: pp. 726-732 CrossRef
- Wedzicha, JA, Calverley, PM, Seemungal, TA, Hagan, G, Ansari, Z, Stockley, RA (2008) The prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations by salmeterol/fluticasone propionate or tiotropium bromide. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177: pp. 19-26 CrossRef
- Calverley, PM, Anderson, JA, Celli, B, Ferguson, GT, Jenkins, C, Jones, PW, Yates, JC, Vestbo, J (2007) Salmeterol and fluticasone propionate and survival in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 356: pp. 775-789 CrossRef
- Oswald-Mammosser, M, Weitzenblum, E, Quoix, E, Moser, G, Chaouat, A, Charpentier, C, Kessler, R (1995) Prognostic factors in COPD patients receiving long-term oxygen therapy. Importance of pulmonary artery pressure. Chest 107: pp. 1193-1198 CrossRef
- Continuous or nocturnal oxygen therapy in hypoxemic chronic obstructive lung disease: a clinical trial. Ann Intern Med 93: pp. 391-398
- Cowie, MR, Struthers, AD, Wood, DA, Coats, AJ, Thompson, SG, Poole-Wilson, PA, Sutton, GC (1997) Value of natriuretic peptides in assessment of patients with possible new heart failure in primary care. Lancet 350: pp. 1349-1353 CrossRef
- Landray, MJ, Lehman, R, Arnold, I (2000) Measuring brain natriuretic peptide in suspected left ventricular systolic dysfunction in general practice: cross-sectional study. BMJ 320: pp. 985-986 CrossRef
- Mekontso Dessap, A, Leon, R, Habibi, A, Nzouakou, R, Roudot-Thoraval, F, Adnot, S, Godeau, B, Galacteros, F, Brun-Buisson, C, Brochard, L, Maitre, B (2008) Pulmonary hypertension and cor pulmonale during severe acute chest syndrome in sickle cell disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177: pp. 646-653 CrossRef
- Leuchte, HH, Nounou, M, Tuerpe, JC, Hartmann, B, Baumgartner, RA, Vogeser, M, Muehling, O, Behr, J (2007) N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide and renal insufficiency as predictors of mortality in pulmonary hypertension. Chest 131: pp. 402-409 CrossRef
- Ishii, J, Nomura, M, Ito, M, Naruse, H, Mori, Y, Wang, JH, Ishikawa, T, Kurokawa, H, Kondo, T, Nagamura, Y, Ezaki, K, Watanabe, Y, Hishida, H (2000) Plasma concentration of brain natriuretic peptide as a biochemical marker for the evaluation of right ventricular overload and mortality in chronic respiratory disease. Clin Chim Acta 301: pp. 19-30 CrossRef
- Bando, M, Ishii, Y, Sugiyama, Y, Kitamura, S (1999) Elevated plasma brain natriuretic peptide levels in chronic respiratory failure with cor pulmonale. Respir Med 93: pp. 507-514 CrossRef
- Rabe, KF, Hurd, S, Anzueto, A, Barnes, PJ, Buist, SA, Calverley, P, Fukuchi, Y, Jenkins, C, Rodriguez-Roisin, R, Weel, C, Zielinski, J (2007) Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176: pp. 532-555 CrossRef
- Loke, I, Squire, IB, Davies, JE, Ng, L (2003) Reference ranges for natriuretic peptides for diagnostic use are dependent on age, gender and heart rate. Eur J Heart Fail 5: pp. 599-606 CrossRef
- Krauser, DG, Lloyd-Jones, DM, Chae, CU, Cameron, R, Anwaruddin, S, Baggish, AL, Chen, A, Tung, R, Januzzi, JL (2005) Effect of body mass index on natriuretic peptide levels in patients with acute congestive heart failure: a ProBNP Investigation of Dyspnea in the Emergency Department (PRIDE) substudy. Am Heart J 149: pp. 744-750 CrossRef
- Burke, MA, Cotts, WG (2007) Interpretation of B-type natriuretic peptide in cardiac disease and other comorbid conditions. Heart Fail Rev 12: pp. 23-36 CrossRef
- Schena, M, Clini, E, Errera, D, Quadri, A (1996) Echo-Doppler evaluation of left ventricular impairment in chronic cor pulmonale. Chest 109: pp. 1446-1451 CrossRef
- Schiller, NB, Shah, PM, Crawford, M, DeMaria, A, Devereux, R, Feigenbaum, H, Gutgesell, H, Reichek, N, Sahn, D, Schnittger, I (1989) Recommendations for quantitation of the left ventricle by two-dimensional echocardiography. American Society of Echocardiography Committee on Standards, Subcommittee on Quantitation of Two-Dimensional Echocardiograms. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2: pp. 358-367
- Garcia, MJ, Thomas, JD, Klein, AL (1998) New Doppler echocardiographic applications for the study of diastolic function. J Am Coll Cardiol 32: pp. 865-875 CrossRef
- Levey, AS, Coresh, J, Greene, T, Stevens, LA, Zhang, YL, Hendriksen, S, Kusek, JW, Lente, F (2006) Using standardized serum creatinine values in the modification of diet in renal disease study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med 145: pp. 247-254
- Lang, CC, Coutie, WJ, Struthers, AD, Dhillon, DP, Winter, JH, Lipworth, BJ (1992) Elevated levels of brain natriuretic peptide in acute hypoxaemic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Clin Sci (Lond) 83: pp. 529-533
- Aronson, D, Burger, AJ (2002) Intravenous nesiritide (human B-type natriuretic peptide) reduces plasma endothelin-1 levels in patients with decompensated congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 90: pp. 435-438 CrossRef
- Rutten, FH, Cramer, MJ, Zuithoff, NP, Lammers, JW, Verweij, W, Grobbee, DE, Hoes, AW (2007) Comparison of B-type natriuretic peptide assays for identifying heart failure in stable elderly patients with a clinical diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur J Heart Fail 9: pp. 651-659 CrossRef
- Stolz, D, Breidthardt, T, Christ-Crain, M, Bingisser, R, Miedinger, D, Leuppi, J, Mueller, B, Tamm, M, Mueller, C (2008) Use of B-type natriuretic peptide in the risk stratification of acute exacerbations of COPD. Chest 133: pp. 1088-1094 CrossRef
- Plasma N-terminal Pro-brain Natriuretic Peptide: A Prognostic Marker in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 190, Issue 3 , pp 271-276
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Industry Sectors