Study of the molecular variation in pre-eclampsia placenta based on micro-Raman spectroscopy
Study of the molecular variation in pre-eclampsia placenta based on micro-Raman spectroscopy.
Five pregnant women with pre-eclampsia from Nanfang hospital were selected as study group whose average age is 28.5 years and 38 ± 2 weeks gestation. The same period of healthy pregnant women, whose average age is 27.6 years and pregnant 39 ± 1 weeks, as control group (n = 5). The normal and pre-eclamptic placental tissues are detected by micro-Raman spectroscopy with the spectrum resolution of 1 cm−1.
We find that the protein structure of α-helix, β-pleated sheet and β-turn is overlying in pre-eclamptic placenta, which lead to a disorder of protein structure. The Raman peaks assigned to tryptophan indole ring and phenylalanine in pre-eclamptic placental tissue are more higher than that in normal tissue.
Results suggest that the ordered structures of the main chain in protein molecules are reduced significantly, and the amino acid of side chains is damaged obviously. And a principal component analysis is used to classify the Raman spectra between normal and pre-eclamptic placental tissues. This study presents that Raman spectroscopy has a great potential on the mechanism research and diagnosis of placental lesions.
- Siamak S, Arie F, Annemarieke R, Diederick EG, Mathias P, Marie-Louise B, Yvonne TS, Michiel LB (2007) High blood pressure in pregnancy and coronary calcification. Hypertension 49:813–817 CrossRef
- Basar G, Parlatan U, Seninak S, Gunel T, Benian A, Kalelioglu I (2012) Investigation of preeclampsia using raman spectroscopy. J Raman Spectrosc 27(4):239–252 CrossRef
- Turner E, Brewster JA, Simpson NAB, Walker JJ, Fisher J (2008) Aromatic amino acid biomarkers of preeclampsia—a nuclear magnetic resonance investigation. Hyperten- sion Pregnancy 27(3):225–235 CrossRef
- Raouf GA, Al-Malki ARL, Mansouri N, Mahmoudi RM (2011) Preliminary study in diagnosis and early prediction of preeclampsia by using FTIR spectroscopy technique. Life Science J 8(2):453–464
- Zhuang Z, Zhu M, Guo Z, Xiong K, Li N, Chen S (2012) Study of molecule variation in various stages of human nuclear cataracts by micro-Raman spectroscopy. Appl Phys Lett 101:173701
- Zhuang Z, Li N, Guo Z, Zhu M, Xiong K, Chen S (2013) Study of molecule variations in renal tumor based on confocal micro-Raman spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt 18(3):031103
- Zhuo S, Chen J, Wu G, Xie S, Zheng L, Jiang X, Zhu X (2012) Quantitatively linking collagen alteration and epithelial tumor progression by second harmonic generation microscopy. Appl Phys Lett 96(21):213704–213704-3 CrossRef
- Zhuang Z, Liu H, Guo Z, Zhuo S, Yu B, Deng X (2010) Second-harmonic generation as a DNA malignancy indicator of prostate glandular epithelial cells. Chin Phys B 19(4):049501–049501-5
- Yu G, Xu XX, Niu Y, Wang B, Song ZF, Zhang CP (2004) Studies on human breast cancer tissues with Raman microspectroscopy. Spectrosc Spect Anal 24(11):1359–1362
- Wood BR, Caspers P, Puppels GJ, Pandiancherri S, McNaughton D (2007) Resonance Raman spectroscopy of red blood cells using near infrared excitation. Anal Bioanal Chem 387:1691–1703 CrossRef
- Zachariah E, Bankapur A, Santhosh C, Valiathan M, Mathur D (2010) Probing oxidative stress in single erythrocytes with Raman Tweezers. J Photochem Photobiol B 100:113–116 CrossRef
- Wang L, Fan JH, Guan ZF, Liu Y, Zeng J, He DL, Huang LQ, Wang XY, Gong HL (2012) Study on bladder cancer tissues with Raman spectroscopy. Spectrosc Spect Anal 32(1):123–126
- Hertig A, Berkane N, Lefevre GK, Toumi HP, Marti J, Capeau S, Uzan E (2004) Rondeau maternal serum sflt1 concentration is an early and reliable predictive marker of preeclampsia. Clin Chem 50(9):1701–1703 CrossRef
- Noris M, Perico N, Remuzzi G (2005) Mechanisms of disease: pre-eclampsia. Nat Clin Pract Nephr 1(2):98–114 CrossRef
- Study of the molecular variation in pre-eclampsia placenta based on micro-Raman spectroscopy
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 290, Issue 5 , pp 943-946
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Molecular variation
- Pre-eclampsia placenta
- Micro-Raman spectroscopy
- Principal component analysis
- Scores plots
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. MOE Key Laboratory of Laser Life Science and Laboratory of Photonic Chinese Medicine, College of Biophotonics, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, 510631, China
- 2. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, 510515, China
- 3. National Testing Center for Optical Radiation Safety of Photoelectric Products, Huizhou, 516003, China
- 4. Laboratory of Photonic Information Technology, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, 510631, China