Comparison of robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy outcomes with laparoscopic myomectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study aimed at comparing short-term outcomes of patients who underwent robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy and laparoscopic myomectomy.
From January 2008 to August 2010, prospective data including 15 consecutive patients who underwent robotic-assisted myomectomy (RALM) with the da Vinci surgical system were recorded. These cases were compared with a retrospective cohort of 23 patients who underwent laparoscopic myomectomy (LM). Patient demographics, fibroid characteristics and peri-operative data (operative time, anesthesia time, set-up time, console time for robotic cohort, Estimated blood loss (EBL), length of hospital stay, conversion to laparotomy and operative complications were collected in both groups.
Mean operative time for the robotic group was 138.73 ± 39.51 min compared with 140.57 ± 38.17 min for the laparoscopy group (p = 0.887). No significant differences were noted between RALM versus LM for hospital stay (1.67 ± 0.58 vs. 1.87 ± 0.67 days, p = 0.369) and EBL (101.33 ± 39.84 vs. 119.78 ± 43.70 ml, p = 0.549). The numbers, size and location of myomas removed for two groups were similar. None of the cases in both groups required conversion to laparotomy. There were no significant intra-operative and post-operative complications in either group.
RALM appears to provide the same surgical outcomes when compared with traditional laparoscopic myomectomy.
- Hurst, BS, Matthews, ML, Marshburn, PB (2005) Laparoscopic myomectomy for symptomatic uterine myomas. Fertil Steril 83: pp. 1-23 CrossRef
- Mais, V, Ajossa, S, Guerriero, S, Mascia, M, Solla, E, Melis, GB (1996) Laparoscopic versus abdominal myomectomy: a prospective, randomized trial to evacuate benefits in early outcome. Obstet Gynecol 174: pp. 654-658 CrossRef
- Advincula, AP, Song, A (2004) Endoscopic management of leiomyomata. Semin Reprod Med 22: pp. 149-155 CrossRef
- Nezhat, C, Lavie, O, Hsu, S, Watson, J, Barnett, O, Lemyre, M (2009) Robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy compared with standard laparoscopic myomectomy—a retrospective matched control study. Fertil Steril 91: pp. 556-559 CrossRef
- Bedient, CE, Magrina, JF, Noble, BN, Kho, RM (2009) Comparison of robotic and laparoscopic myomectomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 201: pp. 566.e1-566.e5 CrossRef
- Barakat, EE, Bedaiwy, MA, Zimberg, S, Nutter, B, Nosseir, M, Falcone, T (2011) Robotic-assisted, laparoscopic, and abdominal myomectomy: a comparison of surgical outcomes. Obstet Gynecol 117: pp. 256-265 CrossRef
- Advincula, AP, Xu, X, Goudeau, S, Ransom, SB (2007) Robot-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy versus abdominal myomectomy: a comparison of short-term surgical outcomes and immediate costs. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14: pp. 98-705 CrossRef
- Gassert, R, Burdet, E, Chinzei, K (2008) MRI-compatible robotics. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 27: pp. 12-14 CrossRef
- Sutherland, GR, Latour, I, Greer, AD, Fielding, T, Feil, G, Newhook, P (2008) An image-guided magnetic resonance-compatible surgical robot. Neurosurgery 62: pp. 286-292 CrossRef
- Comparison of robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy outcomes with laparoscopic myomectomy
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 287, Issue 1 , pp 91-96
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy
- Laparoscopic myomectomy
- Industry Sectors