PAPP-A levels of late pregnancy in preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome
- Alev AtisAffiliated withObstetrics and Gynecology Department, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital
- , Yavuz AydinAffiliated withMedicosocial Unit, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty Email author
- , Elif BasolAffiliated withObstetrics and Gynecology Department, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital
- , Semih KaleliAffiliated withIstanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty
- , Fatma TurgayAffiliated withDepartment of Biochemistry, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital
- , Nimet GokerAffiliated withObstetrics and Gynecology Department, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine the relationship between pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) levels and preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome at last trimester and to investigate if the severity of preeclampsia would be associated with PAPP-A levels.
Four groups were constructed; mild-preeclampsia group consisted of 19 women, severe-preeclampsia group 17, HELLP group 5 and control group 32 women. All groups were matched strictly for gestational age at last trimester. Maternal blood samples for PAPP-A were collected as soon as the patients were diagnosed as preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome at last trimester and compared.
Mean ages of participants, parity, gestational week, and fetal weights were similar. Mean PAPP-A levels were significantly higher in preeclampsia and HELLP groups compared to control group. PAPP-A levels were not different among mild-severe preeclampsia and HELLP groups. There was significant, positive and strong correlation between gestational age and PAPP-A level and also between fetal weight and PAPP-A levels (correlation coefficents = 0.83 and 0.78 respectively).
PAPP-A level at last trimester increases in all mild-severe preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome, but is not predictive for severity of preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome.
KeywordsPAPP-A Severe-preeclampsia Mild-preeclampsia HELLP syndrome
- PAPP-A levels of late pregnancy in preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 285, Issue 1 , pp 45-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- HELLP syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2. Medicosocial Unit, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Atakent Mah, Soyak Olimpiakent Sitesi D: 12 Blok, D53, 34303, Kucukcekmece, Halkali, Istanbul, Turkey
- 3. Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Kucukcekmece, Halkali, Istanbul, 34303, Turkey
- 4. Department of Biochemistry, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey