A case report of spontaneous rupture of a renal angiomyolipoma in a post-partum 21-year-old patient
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Renal angiomyolipomas (AML) are benign tumours containing vascular, smooth muscle and fatty elements. The majority of renal AML run an asymptomatic, benign course. The main associated complication is that of retro-peritoneal or intra-tumoural haemorrhage. Treatment options include conservative management versus interventional procedures such as total or partial nephrectomy, cryotherapy or embolization.
We describe a case of symptomatic, spontaneous rupture of AML in the immediate post-partum period of a patient treated under our care.
This case highlights the presentation in the form of an acute abdomen in the immediate post-partum period. This is important as acute abdomen following delivery can be attributed to a number of other causes. It also demonstrates that further complications of renal angiomyolipoma rupture can arise, emphasising the importance of post treatment vigilance for signs of infection, further haemorrhage and post embolic events.
- Rakowski, SK, Winterkorn, EB, Paul, E, Steele, DJ, Halpern, EF, Thiele, EA (2006) Renal manifestations of tuberous sclerosis complex: incidence, prognosis, and predictive factors. Kidney Int 70: pp. 1777-1782 CrossRef
- Dahnert, W (1999) Radiology review manual. Lippincott, Baltimore
- Blick C, Patel AB, Wilson L, Rane A (2006) Renal angiomyolipoma in a solitary functioning kidney discovered post partum. Internet J Urol 3(2)
- Raft, J, Lalot, JM, Meistelman, C, Longrois, D (2005) Influence of pregnancy on renal angiomyolipoma. Gynecol Obstet Fertil 33: pp. 898-906 CrossRef
- Lewis, EL, Palmer, JM (1985) Renal angiomyolipoma and massive retroperitoneal hemorrhage during pregnancy. West J Med 143: pp. 675-676
- Yu, J, Astrinidis, A, Howard, S, Henske, EP (2004) Estradiol and tamoxifen stimulate LAM-associated angiomyolipoma cell growth and activate both genomic and nongenomic signaling pathways. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 286: pp. 694-700 CrossRef
- Luca, S, Terrone, C, Rocca Rossetti, S (1999) Management of renal angiomyolipoma: a report of 53 cases. Br J Urol 83: pp. 215-218
- Nelson, CP, Sanda, MG (2002) Contemporary diagnosis and management of renal angiomyolipoma. J Urol 168: pp. 1315-1325 CrossRef
- A case report of spontaneous rupture of a renal angiomyolipoma in a post-partum 21-year-old patient
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 280, Issue 4 , pp 643-645
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Renal angiomyolipoma
- Spontaneous rupture
- Industry Sectors