Observations on aetiology and management of genital fistulas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We evaluated the aetiological factors and outcome of the management of genital fistulas. A review of patients who presented with genital fistulas between January 1998 and June 2002 was performed.
There were 34 cases of various genital fistulas, including 29 urinary and 5 intestinal fistulas. Among them 14 (41.2%) were attributed to obstetrical causes, 11 (32.3%) to gynaecological surgery, and 9 (26.3%) to other factors like vaginal procedure, coitus, trauma, etc. We had an operation success rate of 85.7% (30 out of 35 repairs). The success rate was 85.71% (24 out of 28) after primary and 83.3% (5 out of 6) after secondary repair (p=1.00). Vaginal repair was done in 28 cases whereas abdominal repair was carried out in 7 cases. The failure rate was 7.14% (2 out of 28) using the vaginal route and 42.8% (3 out of 7) using the abdominal route (p=0.05). The average duration of disease was 11.8±4.9 months vs. 30±10.3 months (p=0.5), the mean size of the fistulas was 1.5±1.0×1.3±0.9 cm vs. 2.4±1.9×2.2±1.8 cm (p=0.02) in successful and failed cases respectively.
The vaginal repair of fistulas is associated with a higher success rate. Fistulas due to other etiological factors specifically associated with genital malformation, like vaginal procedures and coitus, have the worst prognosis. Larger or longer duration fistulas are associated with poorer prognosis.
- Lawson J (1992) Vaginal fistulas. J R Soc Med 85:254–256
- Kelly J (1992) Vesicovaginal and rectovaginal fistulas. J R Soc Med 85:257–258
- Fichtner J, Voges G, Steinbach F, Hohenfellner R (1993) Uterovesicovaginal fistulas. Surg Gynecol Obstet 176:571–574
- Tancer ML (1992) Observations on prevention and management of vesicovaginal fistula after total hysterectomy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 175:501–505
- Emembolu J (1992) The obstetric fistula: factors associated with improved pregnancy outcome after successful repair. Int J Gynecol Obstet 39:205–212 CrossRef
- Gerber GS, Schoenberg HW (1993) Female urinary tract fistulas. J Urol 149:229–231
- Symmonds RE (1984) Incontinence: vesical and urethral fistulas. Clin Obstet Gynecol 27:499–514
- Ayhan A, Tuncer ZA, Dogan L, Pekin S, Kisnisci HA (1995) Results of treatment in 182 consecutive patients with genital fistulas. Int J Gynecol Obstet 48:43–47 CrossRef
- Gharoro EP, Abedi HO (1999) Vesicovaginal fistula in Benin city, Nigeria. Int J Gynecol Obstet 64:313–314 CrossRef
- Observations on aetiology and management of genital fistulas
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 271, Issue 1 , pp 14-18
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links