Prenatal and postnatal findings of acrania
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Acrania is a rare congenital anomaly in which the flat bones of the cranial vault are partial or complete absent with complete but abnormal development of the cerebral hemispheres.
We report two cases, diagnosed prenatally by ultrasound and followed by medical pregnancy termination, one with isolated acrania and one with associated cleft lip and palate and spina bifida.
The acrania pathogenesis is unknown and differential diagnosis should be made with other conditions like anencephaly and acalvaria. Genetic counselling is not easy because there is no evidence for a specific genetic origin, but the extreme rarity and sporadic nature suggests a low recurrence risk.
- Cafici D, Sepulveda W (2003) First-trimester echogenic amniotic fluid in the acrania–anencephaly sequence. J Ultrasound Med 22:1075–1079
- Cincore V, Ninios AP, Pavlik J, Hsu CD (2003) Prenatal diagnosis of acrania associated with amniotic band syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 102:1176–1178 CrossRef
- Harris CP, Townsend JJ, Carey JC (1993) Acalvaria: a unique congenital anomaly. Am J Med Genet 46:694–699
- Hautman GD, Sherman SJ, Utter GO, Cadieux M, Jaccques SM (1995) Acrania. J Ultrasound Med 14:552–554
- Kurata H, Tamaki N, Sawa H, Oi S, Katayama K, Mochizuke M, Uetani Y, Yoloyama N, Nakamura H (1996) Acrania: report of the first surviving case. Pediatr Neurosurg 24:52–54
- Mannes EJ, Crelin ES, Hobbins JS, Viscomi GN, Alcebo L (1982) Sonographic demonstration of fetal acrania. Am J Roentgenol 139:181–182
- Yang YC, Wu CH, Chang FM, Liu CH, Chien CH (1992) Early prenatal diagnosis of acrania by transvaginal ultrasonography. J Clin Ultrasound 20:343–345
- Prenatal and postnatal findings of acrania
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 271, Issue 3 , pp 257-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cranial vault
- Prenatal diagnosis
- Fetal autopsy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Registro Siciliano Malformazioni Congenite, P.O. “Garibaldi-Nesima”, Via Palermo, 95123, Catania, Italy
- 2. Dipartimento di Pediatria, Università di Catania, Catania, Italy
- 3. Divisione di Ostetricia e Ginecologia, Azienda Ospedaliera “Garibaldi”, Catania, Italy
- 4. Servizio di Anatomia e Istologia Patologica, Azienda Ospedaliera “Garibaldi”, Catania, Italy
- 5. U.O. di Anatomia Patologica, Università di Catania, Catania, Italy