Retrospective analysis of 25 women with malignant cystosarcoma phyllodes—treatment results
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Mastectomy without axillary dissection should be the standard treatment in patients with malignant form of cystosarcoma phyllodes. The role of postoperative radiotherapy and chemotherapy remains to be fully established. We evaluate treatment results in a group of patients with cystosarcoma phyllodes (CP) treated at our Institute.
Patients and methods
In this report we analyze treatment outcome in 25 patients with malignant cystosarcoma phyllodes treated at Masaryk Memorial Cancer Institute between 1970 and 1995. Mean tumor size was 10 cm in diameter. All patients underwent surgery. Subsequently, 17 patients (68%) received radiotherapy on the breast or chest wall.
Median follow-up was 139.5 months. Local recurrence was observed in 16% of all patients and all patients with local recurrence died. Time to local relapse after surgery was 4–11 months. Distant metastases occurred in 5 patients. All patients with local recurrence had distant metastases. Dissemination occurred 3–19 months after local recurrence. Five-year survival of all patients was 80%.
A specific protocol for the treatment of cystosarcoma phyllodes is missing, probably due to rarity of the disease. The treatment of local recurrent disease remains unsuccessful in most CP patients. We recommend postoperative irradiation on the chest wall in patients with malignant form of CP, because adjuvant radiotherapy decreased the incidence of local relapse in our group of patients.
- Alam I, Awad ZT, Given HF (2003) Cystosarcoma phyllodes of the breast: a clinicopathological study of 11 cases. Ir Med J 96:179–180
- Chaney AW, Pollack A, McNeese MD, Zagars GK (1998) Adjuvant radiotherapy for phyllodes tumor of breast. Radiat Oncol Invest 6:264–267 CrossRef
- Chaney AW, Pollack A, McNeese MD et al (2000) Primary treatment of cystosarcoma phyllodes of the breast. Cancer 89:1502–1511 CrossRef
- Cohn-Cedemark G, Rutquist LE, Rosendahl I et al (1991) Prognostic factors in Cystosarcoma phylloides: a clinicopathological study of 77 patients. Cancer 68:2017–22
- De Roos WK, Kaye P, Dent DM (1999) Factors leading to local recurrence or death after surgical resection of phyllodes tumours of the breast. Br J Surg 86:396–399
- Dietz R (1990) Das Cystosarkoma phylloides malignum. Strahlenther Onkol 167:292–294
- Eich P, Diederich S, Eich H et al (2000) Diagnostic radiation oncology: malignant cystosarcoma phylloides. Strahlenther Onkol 176:192–195 CrossRef
- Geisler DP, Boyle MJ, Malnar KF et al (2000) Phyllodes tumours of the breast: a review of 32 cases. Am Surg 66:360–366
- Hawkins RE, Schofield JB, Fisher C et al (1992) The clinical and histologic criteria that predict metastases from cystosarcoma phylloides. Cancer 69:141–147
- Iau PT, Lim TC, Png DJ, Tan WT (1998) Phyllodes tumour: an update of 40 cases. Ann Acad Med Singapore 27:200–203
- Khan SA, Badve S (2001) Phyllodes tumors of the breast. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2:139–147
- Kok KYY, Telesinghe PU, Yapp SKS (2001) Treatment and outcome of cystosarcoma phylloides in Brunei. J R Coll Surg Edinb 46:198–201
- Mallebre B, Ebert A, Perez-Canto A et al (1996) Cystosarcoma phylloides of the breast. A retrospective analysis of 12 cases. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 56:35–40
- Pandey M, Mathew A, Kattoor J et al (2001) Malignant phyllodes tumor. Breast J 7:411–416 CrossRef
- Perez CA, Brady LW et al (1997) Principles and practice of radiation oncology, 3rd edn. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia
- Pietruszka M, Barnes L (1978) Cystosarcoma phylloides: a clinicopathologic analysis of 42 cases. Cancer 41:1974–1983
- Reinfuss M, Mitus J, Stelmach A (1995) Phyllodes tumor of the breast. Strahlenther Onkol 171:5–11
- Treves N, Sunderland D (1951) Cystosarcoma phylloides of the breast: a malignant and benign tumor. Cancer 1286–1332
- Vorherr H, Vorherr UF, Kutvirt DM et al (1985) Cystosarcoma phyllodes: epidemiology, pathohistology, pathobiology, diagnosis, therapy and survival. Arch Gynecol Obstet 236:173–181
- Retrospective analysis of 25 women with malignant cystosarcoma phyllodes—treatment results
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 269, Issue 4 , pp 278-281
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cystosarcoma phyllodes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiation Oncology, Masaryk Memorial Cancer Institute, Žlutý kopec 7, 656 53, Brno, Czech Republic
- 2. Department of Applied Mathematics, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic