Diameter of mammary terminal ducts as an additional tool in evaluation of women with polycystic ovarium disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Aim of this study was to show the change of diameter of mammary ducts in relation to polycystic ovaries disease.
Women who took part were divided into two groups- the first with polycystic ovaries disease and another second group with no such disease.
To both groups a series of laboratory, clinical and ultrasound (u/s) exams were used to diagnose polycystic ovaries disease. Furthermore u/s measurement of mammary ducts was used to define the diameter.
In women with polycystic ovaries disease u/s showed an increase in diameter of mammary ducts whereas in the second group we didn’t observe such finding.
Our study showed that there seems to be a strong relation between the increased diameter of the main terminal lactiferous ducts- the polycystic configuration of the ovaries and the hormonal levels.
- Marx TL, Mehta AE (2003) Polycystic ovary syndrome: pathogenesis and treatment over the short and long term. Cleve Clin J Med 70:31–33,36–41, 45
- Slowey MJ (2001) Polycystic ovary syndrome: new perspective on an old problem. South Med J 94:190–196
- Homburg R (1996) Polycystic ovary syndrome- from gynaecological curiosity to multisystem endocrinopathy. Hum Reprod 11:29–39
- Marshall K (2001) Polycystic ovary syndrome : clinical considerations. Altern Med Rev 6:272–292
- Yen SS, Vela P, Rankin J (1970) Innappopriate secretion of follicle-stimulaying hormone and luteinizing hormone in polycystic ovarian disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 30:435–442
- D’Amelio R, et al (2001) Association between polycystic ovary and fibrocystic breast disease. Gynecol Obstet Invest 51:134–137 CrossRef
- Milliken, et al (2002) Ovarian hyperstimulation by LH leads to mammary gland hyperplasia and cancer predisposition in transgenic mice. Endocrinology 143:3671–3680 CrossRef
- Diameter of mammary terminal ducts as an additional tool in evaluation of women with polycystic ovarium disease
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Volume 270, Issue 4 , pp 252-254
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- mammary ducts
- polycystic ovaries disease
- lactiferous ducts
- hormonal levels
- Industry Sectors