Is there a relationship between attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and Osgood–Schlatter disease?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this prospective study is to investigate the relationship between Osgood–Schlatter disease (OSD) and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Seventy-four children with a diagnosis of OSD were referred to child and adolescent psychiatry department for the evaluation of ADHD. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders was used for diagnostic criteria.
Diagnosis of ADHD was made in 56 (75.6 %) out of 74 children.
Results of this study suggest that ADHD is a significant risk factor for OSD. During the evaluation of a patient with OSD, a thorough history should be obtained about the behavioral symptoms that indicate underlying ADHD. In case of suspicion, these patients should be referred for an additional evaluation by a child psychiatrist.
Level of evidence
- Is there a relationship between attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and Osgood–Schlatter disease?
Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
Volume 133, Issue 9 , pp 1303-1307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Osgood–Schlatter syndrome
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Orthopedics and Traumatology Department, Antalya Education and Research Hospital, Kultur mah. 3805. Sk Durukent Sit., F Blok Daire 22, Kepez, Antalya, Turkey
- 2. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Department, Antalya Education and Research Hospital, Antalya, Turkey