Is there a relationship between attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and Osgood–Schlatter disease?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this prospective study is to investigate the relationship between Osgood–Schlatter disease (OSD) and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Seventy-four children with a diagnosis of OSD were referred to child and adolescent psychiatry department for the evaluation of ADHD. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders was used for diagnostic criteria.
Diagnosis of ADHD was made in 56 (75.6 %) out of 74 children.
Results of this study suggest that ADHD is a significant risk factor for OSD. During the evaluation of a patient with OSD, a thorough history should be obtained about the behavioral symptoms that indicate underlying ADHD. In case of suspicion, these patients should be referred for an additional evaluation by a child psychiatrist.
Level of evidence
- Gholve PA, Scher DM, Khakharia S, Widmann RF, Green DW (2007) Osgood–Schlatter syndrome. Curr Opin Pediatr 19:44–50 CrossRef
- de Lucena GL, dos Santos Gomes C, Guerra RO (2011) Prevalence and associated factors of Osgood–Schlatter syndrome in a population-based sample of Brazilian adolescents. Am J Sports Med 39(2):415–420. doi:10.1177/0363546510383835 CrossRef
- Kujala UM, Kvist M, Heinonen O (1985) Osgood–Schlatter’s disease in adolescent athletes. Retrospective study of incidence and duration. Am J Sports Med 13:236–241 CrossRef
- Demirag B, Ozturk C, Yazici Z, Sarisozen B (2004) The pathophysiology of Osgood–Schlatter disease: a magnetic resonance investigation. J Pediatr Orthop B 13(6):379–382 CrossRef
- Gigante A, Bevilacqua C, Bonetti MG, Greco F (2003) Increased external tibialtorsion in Osgood–Schlatter disease. Acta Orthop Scand 74:431–436 CrossRef
- Jacob RP, Von Gumppenberg S, Engelhard P (1981) Does Osgood–Schlatter disease influence the position of the patella? J Bone Jt Surg Br 63:579–582
- Aparicio G, Abril JC, Calvo E, Alvarez L (1997) Radiologic study of patellar height in Osgood–Schlatter disease. J Pediatr Orthop 17:63–66
- Lancourt JE, Cristini JA (1975) Patella alta and patella infera. J Bone Jt Surg Am 57:1112–1115
- Sarcević Z (2008) Limited ankle dorsiflexion: a predisposing factor to Morbus Osgood–Schlatter? Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 16(8):726–728. doi:10.1007/s00167-008-0529-7 CrossRef
- Pease CN (1934) Relationship of Streptococcus viridans to apophysitis of tibial tubercle. Am J Surg 24:149–150 CrossRef
- Rosenberg ZS, Kawelblum M, Cheung YY, Beltran J, Lehman WB, Grant AD (1992) Osgood–Schlatter lesion: fracture or tendinitis? Scintigraphic, CT, and MR imaging features. Radiology 185(3):853–858
- Sherry DD, Petty RE, Tredwell S, Schroeder ML (1985) Histocompatibility antigens in Osgood–Schlatter disease. J Pediatr Orthop 5(3):302–305 CrossRef
- Frank-Briggs AI (2011) Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). J Pediatr Neurol 9(3):291–298. doi:10.3233/JPN-2011-0494
- American Psychiatric Association (2000) The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, text revision. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC CrossRef
- Uslu M, Uslu R, Eksioglu F, Ozen NE (2007) Children with fractures show higher levels of impulsive-hyperactive behavior. Clin Orthop Relat Res 460:192–195
- Pastor PN, Reuben CA (2006) Identified attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and medically attended, nonfatal injuries: US school-age children, 1997–2002. Ambul Pediatr 6(1):38–44 CrossRef
- Brook U, Boaz M (2006) Adolescents with attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder/learning disability and their proneness to accidents. Indian J Pediatr 73(4):299–303 CrossRef
- Is there a relationship between attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and Osgood–Schlatter disease?
Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
Volume 133, Issue 9 , pp 1303-1307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Osgood–Schlatter syndrome
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Orthopedics and Traumatology Department, Antalya Education and Research Hospital, Kultur mah. 3805. Sk Durukent Sit., F Blok Daire 22, Kepez, Antalya, Turkey
- 2. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Department, Antalya Education and Research Hospital, Antalya, Turkey