Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2 (SCA2) is associated with TDP-43 pathology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Abnormality of the nuclear protein TDP-43 is associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a usually sporadic, fatal neurological disease. Recently, the yeast ortholog of ataxin 2, Pbp 1, was shown to enhance the toxicity of TDP-43 , and ataxin 2 intermediate-length polyglutamine (polyQ) expansions were found to be associated with ALS [1, 2]. Ataxin 2 is a polyQ protein that is mutated in spinocerebellar ataxia type 2 (SCA2), an autosomal-dominant neurological disease, by an expansion of CAG repeats in the SCA2 gene (ATXN2).
In the present study, we performed an immunohistochemical examination of phosphorylated TDP-43 (pTDP-43), the pathological form of TDP-43, in various regions of the brain and spinal cord in a patient with SCA2. We found that pTDP-43 neuronal cytoplasmic inclusions (NCIs), although small in number in individual regions, occurred widely in the central nervous system (CNS), except the lower motor neuron system.
Examination of the patient’s family history revea ...
- Elden, AC, Kim, HJ, Hart, MP (2010) Ataxin-2 intermediate-length polyglutamine expansions are associated with increased risk for ALS. Nature 466: pp. 1069-1075 CrossRef
- Lee, T, Li, YR, Ingre, C (2011) Ataxin-2 intermediate-length polyglutamine expansions in European ALS patients. Hum Mol Genet 20: pp. 1697-1700 CrossRef
- Nishihira, Y, Tan, CF, Onodere, O (2008) Sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: two pathological patterns shown by analysis of distribution of TDP-43-immunoreactive neuronal and glial cytoplasmic and glial cytoplasmic inclusions. Acta Neuropathol 116: pp. 169-182 CrossRef
- Schwab, C, Arai, T, Hasegawa, M (2008) Colocalization of transactivation-responsive DNA-binding protein 43 and Huntington in inclusions of Huntington disease. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 67: pp. 1159-1165 CrossRef
- Seidel, K, Dunnen, WFA, Schulz, C (2010) Axonal inclusions in spinocerebellar ataxia type 3. Acta Neuropathol 120: pp. 449-460 CrossRef
- Tan, C-F, Yamada, M, Toyoshima, Y (2009) Selective occurrence of TDP-43-immunoreactive inclusions in the lower motor neurons in Machado–Joseph disease. Acta Neuropathol 118: pp. 553-560 CrossRef
- Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2 (SCA2) is associated with TDP-43 pathology
Volume 122, Issue 3 , pp 375-378
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, Brain Research Institute, University of Niigata, 1-757 Asahimachi, Chuo-ku, Niigata, 951-8585, Japan
- 2. Department of Neurology, Shinrakuen Hospital, Niigata, Japan
- 3. Department of Pathology, Shinrakuen Hospital, Niigata, Japan