Takotsubo cardiomyopathy in a male during a Euro 2012 football match
Takotsubo cardiomyopathy (TTC) was first described by Sato et al.  in 1990. According to the clinical features, TTC usually affects postmenopausal women and is preceded by a psychical or physical stress. Characteristics of TTC contain ST-segment elevation or T wave inversion in ECG, modest biomarker release (troponin, CK, CK-MB) and almost always complete wall-motion resolution. However, the clinical spectrum of the TTC patients could be heterogeneous and occurs extremely rarely in the male population .
Here we present a case on a 56-year-old male with no past cardiovascular history who was admitted to the emergency room due to sudden chest pain and dyspnoea. Symptoms followed an acute emotional stress event caused by the defeat of his favorite soccer team, he watched at the fan zone during the Euro 2012 cup. Initial ECG revealed sinus rhythm of 76 bpm, RBBB with negative T waves in V3–V6 and heart rate-corrected QT interval (QTc) was 447 ms. Blood pressure was 145/85 mmHg, t ...
- Sato H et al (1990) Tako-tsubo like cardiomyopathy due to multivessel spasm. In: Kodama K, Haze K, Hon M (eds) Clinical aspect of myocardial injury: from ischemia to heart failure, Kagakuhyoronsha Co, Tokyo, pp 56–64
- Sharkey SW, Windenburg DC, Lesser JR et al (2010) Natural history and expansive clinical profile of stress (tako-tsubo) cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 55(4):333–341 CrossRef
- Baumhäkel M, Kindermann M, Kindermann I et al (2007) Soccer world championship: a challenge for the cardiologist. Eur Heart J 28(2):150–153 CrossRef
- Katz E, Metzger JT, Marazzi A et al (2006) Increase of sudden cardiac deaths in Switzerland during the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Int J Cardiol 107(1):132–133 CrossRef
- Schneider B, Athanasiadis A, Schwab J et al (2010) Clinical spectrum of tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy in Germany: results of the tako-tsubo registry of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Leitende Kardiologische Krankenhausärzte (ALKK). Dtsch Med Wochenschr 135(39):1908–1913 CrossRef
- Bielecka-Dabrowa A, Mikhailidis DP, Hannam S et al (2010) Takotsubo cardiomyopathy—the current state of knowledge. Int J Cardiol 142(2):120–125 CrossRef
- Ueyama T, Hano T, Kasamatsu K, et al (2003) Estrogen attenuates the emotional stress induced cardiac responses in the animal model of tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy. J Cardiovasc Pharm 42:S117e19
- Kurisu S, Inoue I, Kawagoe T (2010) Presentation of tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy in men and women. Clin Cardiol 33(1):42–45 CrossRef
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy in a male during a Euro 2012 football match
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Clinical Research in Cardiology
Volume 102, Issue 4 , pp 319-321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links