Percutaneous edge-to-edge mitral valve repair for recurrent mitral regurgitation after percutaneous mitral annuloplasty: towards a staged approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although mitral valve (MV) repair remains the treatment of choice to treat severe mitral valve regurgitation (MR), there is still a plethora of patients that, in light of their complex comorbid profile, could be approached in a less invasive fashion . Timely echocardiography evaluation of the valve anatomy and the regurgitation flow-dynamics are crucial to plan an adequate percutaneous repair strategy [2, 3]. In this context, the MR often results from an annular dilatation that leads to a decreased MV leaflets coaptation.
The percutaneous transvenous MitraClip®-System (MitraClip, Abbot, USA) has been recently introduced and popularized to mimic the “edge to edge” MV repair firstly described by Alfieri et al. The results of the EVEREST II trial have demonstrated that the procedure is safe and associated with improvements in clinical outcomes .
Implantation of a percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty (PTMA) device to reduce the MV annular size has also been shown to be fea ...
- Lung B, Baron G, Butchard EG et al (2003) A prospective survey of patients with valvular heart disease in Europe: the Euro Heart Survey on valvular heart disease. Eur Heart J 24:1231–1243 CrossRef
- Altiok E, Becker M, Hamada S, Reith S, Marx N, Hoffmann R (2011) Optimized guidance of percutaneous edge-to edge repair of the mitral valve using real-time 3-D transesophageal echocardiography. Clin Res Cardiol 100:675–681 CrossRef
- Paranskaya L, Kische S, Bozdag-Turan I, Nienaber C, Ince H (2012) Mitral valve with three orifices after percutaneous repair with the MitraClip system: the triple-orifice technique. Clin Res Cardiol (Epub ahead of print)
- Feldman T, Foster E, Glower DD et al (2011) Percutaneous repair or surgery for mitral regurgitation. N Engl J Med 364:1395–1406 CrossRef
- Sack S, Kahlert P, Bilodeau L et al (2009) Percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty: initial human experience with a novel coronary sinus implant device. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2:277–284 CrossRef
- Harnek J, Webb JG, Kuck KH et al (2011) Transcatheter implantation of the MONARC coronary sinus device for mitral regurgitation: 1-year results from the EVOLUTION phase I study (Clinical Evaluation of the Edwards Lifesciences Percutaneous Mitral Annuloplasty System for the Treatment of Mitral Regurgitation). JACC Cardiovasc Interv 4:115–122 CrossRef
- Hoffmann R, Schauerte P, Kelm M, Balzer J (2010) Advanced cardiac imaging in percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty. Clin Res Cardiol 99:577–578 CrossRef
- Percutaneous edge-to-edge mitral valve repair for recurrent mitral regurgitation after percutaneous mitral annuloplasty: towards a staged approach
Clinical Research in Cardiology
Volume 101, Issue 12 , pp 1013-1015
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors