Sexual function and continence after ileo pouch anal anastomosis: a comparison between a meta-analysis and a questionnaire survey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background and aims
Ileo pouch anal anastomosis (IPAA) is the standard restorative procedure for patients with ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis, but its pros and cons have not been explored in depth. This study analyzed the long-term complications such as incontinence and sexual dysfunction after IPAA.
Patients and methods
Netherlands Society for Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis) A questionnaire on complications, sexual dysfunction, and continence was sent to all 137 members of the Netherlands Society for Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis who had IPAA; the questionnaire was returned by 111. Results of the questionnaire were compared with those of a meta-analysis on pooled incidences of complications after IPAA, as previously performed and reported.
Pelvic sepsis was reported by 15.3% of respondents. The reported incidence of sexual dysfunction (19.8%), passive incontinence (23.4%), and soiling (39.3%) was significantly higher than that in the meta-analysis. Nevertheless, 90% of the population was satisfied with the results of the IPAA.
This study underlines that the operation itself, freeing patients of their disease, provides the major satisfaction and improvement of quality of life, even when patients have pouch-related complications such as sexual dysfunction and some degree of fecal incontinence.
- Hueting WE, Buskens E, van der Tweel I, Gooszen HG, van Laarhoven CJHM (2001) Ileo pouch anal anastomosis: meta analysis on results and complications of 44 studies with 9435 patients. Colorectal Dis 3 [Suppl 1]:19
- Laarhoven, (1999) Ann Surg 230: pp. 750 CrossRef
- Andriesse, (2001) Gut 48: pp. 683 CrossRef
- Vaizey, (1999) Gut 44: pp. 77
- Metcalf, (1986) Ann Surg 204: pp. 624
- Damgaard, (1995) Dis Colon Rectum 38: pp. 286
- Pescatori, (1992) Dis Colon Rectum 35: pp. 482
- Jorge, (1993) Dis Colon Rectum 36: pp. 77
- Steens, (2000) Hepatogastroenterology 47: pp. 746
- van, (2000) Br J Surg 87: pp. 590 CrossRef
- Dunker, (2001) Dis Colon Rectum 44: pp. 1800
- Jimmo, (1998) Dis Colon Rectum 41: pp. 41
- Sexual function and continence after ileo pouch anal anastomosis: a comparison between a meta-analysis and a questionnaire survey
International Journal of Colorectal Disease
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 215-218
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Ileo pouch anal anastomosis
- Quality of life
- Ulcerative colitis
- Industry Sectors