Our response to Letter
We thank the authors for valuable comments about our article. Today, extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) and open surgery are the methods of choice in the treatment of most pediatric urinary stones . Considering the small size of the kidneys, a high recurrence rate of stone formation increases the importance of minimally invasive urological treatment modalities in pediatric urinary stone disease. For this reason, it is reported in the literature that mini PCNL supersedes open stone surgery for pediatric stone diseases [2, 3].
There are limited experience about flexible ureteroscopy in pediatric patients. Resorlu et al. reported that retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) was an effective alternative to mini-perc in children. They commented that operation time, hospital stay, radiation exposure and morbidities of PCNL could be significantly reduced with this technique . But they also added mini-perc continued to be the best ch ...
- Rizvi SA, Naqvi SA, Hussain Z, Hashmi A, Hussain M, Zafar MN et al (2002) The management of stone disease. BJU Int 89:62 CrossRef
- Nouralizadeh A, Basiri A, Javaherforooshzadeh A, Soltani MH, Tajali F (2009) Experience of percutaneous nephrolithotomy using adult-size instruments in children less than 5 years old. J Pediatr Urol 5:351–354 CrossRef
- Kroovand RL (1997) Pediatric urolithiasis. Urol Clin North Am 24:173–184 CrossRef
- Resorlu B, Unsal A, Tepeler A, Atis G, Tokatli Z, Oztuna D et al (2012) Comparison of retrograde intrarenal surgery and mini-percutaneous nephrolithotomy in children with moderate-size kidney stones: results of multi-institutional analysis. Urology 80:519–523 CrossRef
- Bayrak O, Seckiner I, Erturhan S, Duzgun I, Yagci F (2012) Comparative analyses of percutaneous nephrolithotomy versus open surgery in pediatric urinary stone disease. Pediatr Surg Int 28:1025–1029 CrossRef
- Our response to Letter
Pediatric Surgery International
Volume 29, Issue 2 , p 205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors