Percutaneous sclerotherapy of peripheral venous malformations in pediatric patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To report the efficacy of percutaneous puncture and sclerosis using polidocanol in the treatment of venous malformations (VMs) in pediatric patients.
Between March 2007 and February 2011, a series of 19 patients with VMs on the upper and lower extremities had undergone a total of 89 sessions of intralesional sclerotherapy using polidocanol. All the procedures were performed in an angiographic suite under general anesthesia in order to maintain sedation for facilitating the procedure. For each injection, approximately 1 ml of 2% polidocanol was injected for each centimeter of the diameter of the lesion, with a maximum of 6 ml. Injection of the sclerosant was guided by real-time sonography and fluoroscopy.
After the treatment, the symptoms completely resolved in four patients (21%). Clinical symptoms, such as bulging and pain were improved in 12 out of 19 patients (63%). They remained unchanged in three patients (16%). During the procedures, no major complications were encountered. The minor complications (65%) encountered were swelling and pain after treatment which were resolved by taking NSAID within a few days.
In pediatric patients, sonographically guided percutaneous puncture and fluoroscopically guided sclerosis using 2% polidocanol is effective, less invasive and safe for the treatment of VMs, with a high success rate and minimal complications.
- Mulliken JB, Glowacki J (1982) Hemangiomas and vascular malformations in infants and children: a classification based on endothelial characteristics. Plast Reconstr Surg 69:412–422 CrossRef
- Belov S (1993) Anatomopathological classification of congenital vascular defects. Semin Vasc Surg 6:219–224
- Puig S, Casati B, Staudenherz A, Paya K (2005) Vascular low-flow malformations in children: current concepts for classification, diagnosis and therapy. Eur J Radiol 53:35–45 CrossRef
- Loose DA (2007) Surgical management of venous malformations. Phlebology 22:276–282 CrossRef
- Raymond-Martimbeau P (1993) Advanced sclerotherapy treatment of varicose veins with duplex ultrasonographic guidance. Semin Dermatol 12:123–128
- Szilagyi DE, Smith RF, Elliott JD, Hageman JH (1976) Congenital arteriovenous anomalies of the limbs. Arch Surg 111:423–429
- Laurian C (1992) Malformations vasculares des membres: place de la chirurgie vasculaire et re′paratrice. J Mal Vasc 17:57–60
- Shireman PK, Mccarthy WJ, Yao JS, Vogelzang RL (1997) Treatment of venous malformation by direct injection with ethanol. J Vasc Surg 26:838–844 CrossRef
- Yakes WF, Luethke JM, Parker SH, Stavros AT, Rak KM, Hopper KD, Dreisbach JN, Griffin DJ, Seibert CE, Carter TE (1990) Ethanol embolization of vascular malformations. Radiographics 10:787–796
- Bhargava DK, Dwivedi M, Acharya SK, Sundaram KR (1988) Effect of low dosage of polidocanol in treatment of esophageal varices in cirrhotic patients. Indian J Med Res 88:515–521
- Jaspersen D, Korner T, Schorr W, Hammar CH (1994) Diagnosis and treatment control of bleeding colorectal angiodysplasias by endoscopic Doppler sonography: a preliminary study. Gastrointest Endosc 40:40–44 CrossRef
- Winter H, Drager E, Sterry W (2000) Sclerotherapy for treatment of hemangiomas. Dermatol Surg 26:105–108 CrossRef
- Yamaki T, Nozaki M, Sasaki K (2000) Color duplex guided sclerotherapy for the treatment of venous malformations. Dermatol Surg 26:323–328 CrossRef
- Duffy DM, Garcia C, Clark RE (1999) The role of sclerotherapy in abnormal varicose hand veins. Plast Reconstr Surg 104:1474–1479 CrossRef
- Orlando JL, Caldas JG, Campos HG, Nishinari K, Wolosker N (2010) Ethanol sclerotherapy of superficial venous malformation: a new procedure. Dermatology 220:376–380 CrossRef
- Cahill AM, Nijs EL (2011) Pediatric vascular malformations: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and the role of interventional radiology. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 34:691–704 CrossRef
- Lee BB, Kim DI, Huh S, Kim HH, Choo IW, Byun HS, Do YS (2001) New experience with absolute ethanol sclerotherapy in the management of a complex form of congenital venous malformation. J Vasc Surg 33:764–772 CrossRef
- Uehara S, Osuga K, Yoneda A, Oue T, Yamanaka H, Fukuzawa M (2009) Intralesional sclerotherapy for subcutaneous venous malformations in children. Pediatr Surg Int 25:709–713 CrossRef
- Rimon U, Garniek A, Galili Y, Golan G, Bensaid P, Morag B (2004) Ethanol sclerotherapy of peripheral venous malformations. Eur J Radiol 52:283–287 CrossRef
- Burrows PE, Mason KP (2004) Percutaneous treatment of low flow vascular malformations. J Vasc Interv Radiol 15:431–445 CrossRef
- Percutaneous sclerotherapy of peripheral venous malformations in pediatric patients
Pediatric Surgery International
Volume 27, Issue 12 , pp 1283-1287
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Peripheral venous malformations
- Industry Sectors