Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Patients with circumcised hypospadias have been of significant concern over many decades due to the belief that prior circumcision might negatively affect the results of hypospadias’ repair. We evaluated outcomes in consecutive males with anterior, distal penile, and the megameatus with intact prepuce variant of hypospadias (MIP).
After IRB approval a retrospective of 48 consecutive males with circumcised hypospadias was reviewed. In all cases the urethroplasty was accomplished with either urethral plate tubularization or a MAGPI procedure. No skin flaps were used.
A total of 48 patients with circumcised hypospadias (anterior, MIP variant, and distal penile) underwent operative reconstruction by one of us (RVP). All patients were followed for at least 8 months.
Prior circumcision did not negatively affect the results of subsequent urethroplasty in patients with anterior, distal penile, and the MIP variant of hypospadias. The use of the tubularized incised plate urethroplasty (TIP) has virtually eliminated the need for skin flaps in anterior hypospadias repair.
- Thompson, HC, King, LR, Knox, E, Korones, SB (2005) Report of the Ad Hoc Task Force on Circumcision. Pediatrics 56: pp. 610-611
- Report of the Task Force on Circumcision. Pediatrics 84: pp. 388-391
- Duckett, JW, Keating, MA (1989) Technical challenge of the megameatus intact prepuce in hypospadias variant: the pyramid procedure. J Urol 141: pp. 1407-1409
- Hill, GA, Wacksman, J, Lewis, AG (1993) The modified pyramid hypospadias procedure: repair of megameatus and deep glanular groove variants. J Urol 150: pp. 1208-1211
- Snodgrass, WT, Khavari, R (2006) Prior circumcision does not complicate repair of hypospadias with an intact prepuce. J Urol 2006: pp. 296-298 CrossRef
- Bang, RL, Ebrahim, MK, Lari, AR (1993) T flap hypospadias repair in circumcised patients. Br J Plast Surg 46: pp. 164-167 CrossRef
- Baran, NK (1982) Urethral advancement for distal hypospadias repair in circumcised patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 70: pp. 496-504 CrossRef
- Circumcised hypospadias
Pediatric Surgery International
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 53-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatric Surgery, Section of Urology, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Boston, USA
- 2. Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
- 3. Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Boston, USA