Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the skull: radical resection and immediate cranioplasty after chemotherapy. A technical note
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The current standard treatment of Ewing's sarcoma is chemotherapy followed by surgery, making an immediate cranial reconstruction in a one-step surgical procedure possible.
We describe the technique used to repair a cranial defect after the resection of a primary Ewing's sarcoma of the skull in a one-step surgical procedure.
Bone repair with a custom-made cranioplasty immediately after resection of a primary Ewing's sarcoma of the skull avoids deformities and late complications associated with reconstructive surgery after radiotherapy and not interfere with radiotherapy and neither with follow-up.
A one-step surgical procedure after chemotherapy for primary Ewing's sarcoma of the skull could be safer, less aggressive and more radical; avoiding deformities and late complications.
- Agrawal, A, Dulani, R, Mahadevan, A, Vagaha, SJ, Vagha, J, Shankar, S (2009) Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the frontal bone with intracranial extension. J Cancer Res Ther 5: pp. 208-209 CrossRef
- Brevi, BC, Magri, AS, Toma, L, Sesenna, E (2010) Cranioplasty for repair of a large bone defect with autologous and homologous bone in children. J Pediatr Surg 45: pp. E17-E20 CrossRef
- Chim, H, Schantz, JT (2005) New frontiers in calvarial reconstruction: integrating computer-assisted design and tissue engineering in cranioplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 116: pp. 1726-1741 CrossRef
- Della Puppa, A, Mottaran, R, Scienza, R (2010) Image-guided cranial osteoma resection and bioceramic porous hydroxyapatite custom-made reconstruction in a one-step surgical procedure. Technical notes and illustrative case. Acta Neurochir Wien 152: pp. 155-159 CrossRef
- Gradoni, P, Giordano, D, Oretti, G (2011) Clinical outcomes of rhabdomyosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma of the head and neck in children. Auris Nasus Larynx 38: pp. 480-486 CrossRef
- Gradoni, P, Giordano, D, Oretti, G, Fantoni, M, Ferri, T (2010) The role of surgery in children with head and neck rhabdomyosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma. Surg Oncol 19: pp. e103-e109 CrossRef
- Pellitteri, PK, Ferlito, A, Bradley, PJ, Shaha, AR, Rinaldo, A (2003) Management of sarcomas of the head and neck in adults. Oral Oncol 39: pp. 2-12 CrossRef
- Rohner, D, Tan, BK, Song, C, Yeow, V, Hammer, B (2001) Repair of composite zygomatico-maxillary defects with free bone grafts and free vascularized tissue transfer. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 29: pp. 337-343 CrossRef
- Wexler, LH, Kacker, A, Piro, JD, Haddad, J, Close, LG (2003) Combined modality treatment of Ewing's sarcoma of the maxilla. Head Neck 25: pp. 168-172 CrossRef
- Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the skull: radical resection and immediate cranioplasty after chemotherapy. A technical note
Child's Nervous System
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 303-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Primary Ewing's sarcoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurosurgery, Donostia University Hospital, Donostia, Gipuzkoa, Spain
- 3. Neurosurgical Department, Hospital Universitario Donostia, Paseo Dr Beguiristain s/n, CP 20014, San Sebastian, Guipuzcoa, Spain
- 2. Department of Neurosurgery, Virgen del Rocio University Hospital, Seville, Andalusia, Spain