Centennial oscillations in an ocean-ice coupled model
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Irregular centennial oscillations, with a spectral peak at 106 years, were obtained from an ocean-ice coupled model for the North Atlantic with realistic coastline and bottom topography. The model's thermohaline circulation is forced by mixed boundary conditions, i.e., a Haney-type relaxation condition for temperature, but an equivalent virtual salt flux condition for salinity. All forcing fields are taken from the observed monthly mean climatological wind stress and buoyancy fluxes.
The oscillations appeared in the form of a surface—intensified tripole in both the sea surface temperature and salinity fields located in the vicinity of the Labrador Sea. The oscillations involve a delicate interplay between heat and fresh water advection by meridional overturning circulation, horizontal gyres, vertical convection, and the seasonal cycle. The oscillations are primarily controlled by the salinity component of the circulation; however, sea ice plays a minor role in driving the oscillations observed in the model. On the other hand, a regular seasonal cycle in the forcing fields is an important ingredient for the centennial oscillations.
- Curry, R. G., and M. S. McCartney, 1996: Subtropical response to subpolar convection variability, manuscript.
- Delworth, T. L., 1996: North Atlantic interannual variability in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model. J. Climate, 9, 2356–2375. CrossRef
- Delworth, T., S. Manabe, and R. J. Stouffer, 1993: Interdecadal variatoins of the thermohaline circulation in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model. J. Climate, 6, 1993–2011. CrossRef
- Deser, C., and M. L. Blackmon, 1993: Surface climate variations over the North Atlantic during winter: 1900-1989. J. Climate, 6, 1743–1753. CrossRef
- Haney, R. L., 1971: Surface thermal boundary condition for ocean circulation models. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 1, 241–248. CrossRef
- Hellerman, S., and M. Rosenstein, 1983: Normal monthly wind stress over the world ocean with error estimates. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 13, 1093–1104. CrossRef
- Huang, R. X., and W. Dewar, 1996: Haline circulation in a loop model. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 26, 2093–2106. CrossRef
- Kushnir, Y., 1994: Interdecadal variations in North Atlantic sea surface temperature and associated atmospheric conditions. J. Climate, 7, 141–157. CrossRef
- Levitus, S. 1994: World Ocean Atlas 1994: CD-ROM Data Set Documentation, NODC, Informal Report No. 13, 30pp.
- Marotzke, J., 1989: Instabilities and multiple steady states of the thermohaline circulation. In: Oceanic Circulation Models: Combining Data and Dynamics, D. L. T. Anderson and J. Willebrand, eds., NATO ASI series, Kluwer, 501211.
- Pacanowsky, R. C., 1995: MOM2 documentation user's guide and reference manual, version 2, GFDL Ocean Technical Report #3.
- Parkinson, C. L., and W. M. Washington, 1979: A large-scale numerical model of sea ice. J. Geophys. Res., 84, 311–337. CrossRef
- Trenberth, K. E., 1992: Global Analyses from ECMWF and Atlas of 1000 to 10 mb Circulation Statistics. Tech. Rep. NCAR / TN-373+STR, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado.
- Tziperman, E., Toggweller J. R., Y. Feliks, and K. Bryan, 1994: Instability of the thermohaline circulation with respect to mixed boundary conditions: is it really a problem for realistic models? J. Phys. Oceanogr., 24, 217–232. CrossRef
- Walin, G., 1985: The thermohaline circulation and the control of the ice age. Palaeogeogr., Palaeoclimatol, Palaeoecol., 50, 323–332.
- Yang, J., and R. X. Huang, 1996: Decadal oscillations driven by the annual cycle in a zonal-averaged coupled ocean-ice model. Geophys. Res. Lett., 23, 269- 272. CrossRef
- Yang, J., and J. D. Neelin, 1993: Sea-ice interaction with the thermohaline circulation. Geophys. Res. Lett., 20, 217–220.
- Yang, J., and D. J. Neelin, 1997: Sea-ice interaction and the stability of the thermohaline circulation. Atmos. Ocean, 433–469, V35.
- Centennial oscillations in an ocean-ice coupled model
Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 323-342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- Thermohaline circulation
- Ocean model