Three-dimensional cartoon facial animation based on art rules
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Three-dimensional (3D) cartoon facial animation is one step further than the challenging 3D caricaturing which generates 3D still caricatures only. In this paper, a 3D cartoon facial animation system is developed for a subject given only a single frontal face image of a neutral expression. The system is composed of three steps consisting of 3D cartoon face exaggeration, texture processing, and 3D cartoon facial animation. By following caricaturing rules of artists, instead of mathematical formulations, 3D cartoon face exaggeration is accomplished at both global and local levels. As a result, the final exaggeration is capable of depicting the characteristics of an input face while achieving artistic deformations. In the texture processing step, texture coordinates of the vertices of the cartoon face model are obtained by mapping the parameterized grid of the standard face model to a cartoon face template and aligning the input face to the face template.
Finally, 3D cartoon facial animation is implemented in the MPEG-4 animation framework. In order to avoid time-consuming construction of a face animation table, we propose to utilize the tables of existing models through model mapping. Experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness and efficiency of our proposed system.
- Abrantes, G., Pereira, F. (1999) MPEG-4 facial animation technology: survey, implementation, and results. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. 9: pp. 290-305 CrossRef
- Akleman, E., Reisch, J. (2004) Modeling expressive 3D caricatures. ACM Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH).
- Bier, E.A., Sloan, K.R. (1986) Two-part texture mappings. IEEE Comput. Graph. Appl. 6: pp. 40-53 CrossRef
- Chiang, P.Y., Liao, W.H., Li, T.Y. (2004) Automatic caricature generation by analyzing facial features. Asian Conference on Computer Vision.
- Clarke, L., Chen, M., Mora, B. (2011) Automatic generation of 3D caricatures based on artistic deformation styles. IEEE Trans. Vis. Comput. Graph. 17: pp. 808-821 CrossRef
- Cootes, T.F., Taylor, C.J., Cooper, D.H., Graham, J. (1995) Active shape models, their training and application. Comput. Vis. Image Underst. 61: pp. 38-59 CrossRef
- Erol, F., Gudukbay, U. (2001) An interactive facial animation system. International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics.
- Ersotelos, N., Dong, F. (2008) Building highly realistic facial modeling and animation: a survey. Vis. Comput. 24: pp. 13-30 CrossRef
- Fu, G., Chen, Y., Liu, J., Zhou, J., Li, P. (2008) Interactive expressive 3D caricatures design. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME). pp. 965-968
- Fujiwara, T., Koshimizu, H., Fujimura, K., Fujita, G., Noguchi, Y., Ishikawa, N. (2002) A method for 3D face modeling and caricatured figure generation. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME). pp. 137-140 CrossRef
- Gao, W., Chen, Y., Wang, R., Shan, S., Jiang, D. (2003) Learning and synthesizing MPEG-4 compatible 3-d face animation from video sequence. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. 13: pp. 1119-1128 CrossRef
- Jin, X., Bao, H., Peng, Q. (1997) A survey of computer animation. J. Softw. 8: pp. 241-251
- Lan, J., Chen, Y., Xu, Y. (2004) A facial animation synthesis approach based on MPEG-4 and PCA. Comput. Eng. Appl. 40: pp. 60-64
- Li, P., Chen, Y., Liu, J., Fu, G. (2008) 3D caricature generation by manifold learning. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME). pp. 941-944
- Liang, L., Chen, H., Xu, Y.Q., Shum, H.Y. (2002) Example-based caricature generation with exaggeration. Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics and Applications. pp. 386-393
- Liu, J., Chen, Y., Miao, C., Xie, J., Ling, C.X., Gao, X., Gao, W. (2009) Semi-supervised learning in reconstructed manifold space for 3D caricature generation. Comput. Graph. Forum 1: pp. 1-11
- Luan, Q., Xu, Y. (2009) Facial pixel drawing generation algorithm. J. Comput.-Aided Des. Comput. Graph. 21: pp. 1733-1739
- Mo, Z., Lewis, J., Neumann, U. (2004) Improved automatic caricature by feature normalization and exaggeration. International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques.
- Noh, J.Y., Neumann, U.: A survey of facial modelling and animation techniques. Tech. Rep. TR1998-99-705, Integrated Media Systems Center, Univ. of Southern California (1998)
- Noh, Y., Fidaleo, D., Neumann, U. (2000) Animated deformations with radial basis functions. The ACM Virtual Symposium on Reality and Software Technology.
- Obaid, M., Mukundan, R., Billinghurst, M., Pelachaud, C. (2010) Expressive MPEG-4 facial animation using quadratic deformation models. The Seventh International Conference on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV).
- Redman, L. (1984) How to Draw Caricatures. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Sederberg, T.W., Parry, S.R. (1986) Free-form deformation of solid geometric models. ACM Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH). pp. 151-160
- Song, M., Dong, Z., Theobalt, C., Wang, H., Liu, Z., Seidel, H.P. (2007) A generic framework for efficient 2-d and 3-d facial expression analogy. IEEE Trans. Multimed. 9: pp. 1384-1395 CrossRef
- Sun, J., Jia, J., Tang, C.K., Shum, H.Y. (2004) Poisson matting. ACM Trans. Graph. 23: pp. 315-321 CrossRef
- Tong, J., Guan, H. (2007) Realistic rapid 3D face modeling for film/TV animation. J. Comput. Appl. 27: pp. 1013-1016
- Xie, J., Chen, Y., Liu, J., Miao, C., Gao, X. (2009) Interactive 3D caricature generation based on double sampling. ACM International Conference on Multimedia. pp. 745-748
- Zhang, M., Liu, S., Wang, J., Shen, H., Pan, Z. (2010) The 3D caricature face modeling based on aesthetic formulae. International Conference on Virtual Reality Continuum and Its Applications in Industry.
- Zhou, R., Zhou, J., Chen, Y., Liu, J., Li, L.S. (2006) Caricature generation based on facial feature analysis. J. Comput.-Aided Des. Comput. Graph. 118: pp. 1362-1366
- Three-dimensional cartoon facial animation based on art rules
The Visual Computer
Volume 29, Issue 11 , pp 1135-1149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Cartoon facial animation
- Art rules
- Model exaggeration
- Non-photorealistic rendering
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Electronic and Information Engineering, Soochow University, Suzhou, 215006, China
- 2. State Key Lab of CAD&CG, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310058, China
- 3. School of Information Technologies, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, 2006, Australia