A Bio-inspired Method for Distributed Deployment of Services
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We look at the well-known problem of allocating software components to compute resources (nodes) in a network, given resource constraints on the infrastructure and the quality of service requirements of the components to be allocated to nodes. This problem has many twists and angles, and has been studied extensively in the literature. Solving it is particularly problematic when there is extensive dynamism and scale involved. Typically, heuristics are needed.
In this paper, we present a new breed of heuristics for solving this problem. The distinguishing feature of our approach is a decentralized optimization framework aimed at finding near optimal mappings within reasonable time and for large scale. Three different incarnations of the problem are explored through simulations. For one problem instance, we also provide exact solutions, and show that our technique is able to find near optimal solutions with low variance. In the largest example, a public-private cloud computing scenario is used, where different clouds are associated with financial costs, and we show that our approach is capable of balancing the load as expected for such a scenario.
- Albrecht, J., Oppenheimer, D., Vahdat, A. and Patterson, D. A., “Design and implementation trade-offs for wide-area resource discovery,” ACM Trans. on Internet Technology, 8, 4, Sep. 2008.
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, Last checked: Aug 19, 2010. http://aws.amazon.com/ec2
- Bastarrica, M. C., et al., “A Binary Integer Programming Model for Optimal Object Distribution,” in 2nd Int'l. Conf. on Principles of Distributed Systems, Amiens, Dec. 1998.
- Clark, C. et al., “Live migration of virtual machines,” in 2nd USENIX Symp. on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, May 2005.
- Csorba, M. J. and Heegaard, P. E., “Swarm intelligence heuristics for component deployment,” in 16th Eunice Int'l Workshop and IFIP WG6.6 Workshop, LNCS 6164, Trondheim, June 2010.
- Csorba, M. J., Heegaard, P. E. and Herrmann, P., “Cost-efficient deployment of collaborating components,” in 8th IFIP Int'l Conf. on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems, Oslo, June 2008.
- Csorba, M. J., Heegaard, P. E. and Herrmann, P., “Adaptable model-based component deployment guided by artificial ants,” in 2nd Int'l Conf. on Autonomic Computing and Communication Systems, Sep. 2008.
- Csorba, M. J., Meling, H. and Heegaard, P. E., “Laying pheromone trails for balanced and dependable component mappings,” in 4th Int'l Workshop on Self-Organizing Systems, LNCS 5918, Zurich, Dec. 2009.
- Csorba, M. J., Meling, H. and Heegaard, P. E., “Ant system for service deployment in private and public clouds,” in 2nd Workshop on Bio-Inspired Algorithms for Distributed Systems, Washington, DC, June 2010.
- Csorba, M. J., Meling, H., Heegaard, P. E. and Herrmann, P., “Foraging for better deployment of replicated service components,” in 9th Int'l Conf. on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems, LNCS 5523, Lisbon, June 2009.
- Dorigo, M., et al., “The Ant System: Optimization by a colony of cooperating agents”, IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part B: Cybernetics, 26, 1, Feb. 1996.
- Efe, K., “Heuristic models of task assignment scheduling in distributed systems,” Computer, 15, 6, June 1982.
- Elmroth, E. and Larsson, L., “Interfaces for placement, migration, and monitoring of virtual machines in federated clouds,” in 8th Int'l Conf. on Grid and Cooperative Computing, Lanzhou, Gansu, Aug. 2009.
- Fernandez-Baca, D., “Allocating modules to processors in a distributed system,” IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, 15, 11, Nov. 1989.
- Heegaard, P. E., Helvik, B. E. and Wittner, O. J., “The cross entropy ant system for network path management,” Telektronikk, 104, 01, pp. 19–40, 2008.
- Heegaard, P. E. and Wittner, O. J., “Overhead reduction in a distributed path management system,” Computer Networks, 54, 6, pp. 1019–1041, 2010. CrossRef
- Heimfarth, T. and Janacik, P., “Ant based heuristic for os service distribution on adhoc networks,” Biologically Inspired Cooperative Computing, 2006.
- Helvik, B. E. and Wittner, O., “Using the Cross Entropy Method to Guide/Govern Mobile Agent's Path Finding in Networks,” in 3rd Int'l Workshop on Mobile Agents for Telecommunication Applications, LNCS 2164, Aug 2001.
- Hirofuchi, T., Ogawa, H., Nakada, H., Itoh, S. and Sekiguchi, S., “A live storage migration mechanism over wan for relocatable virtual machine services on clouds,” in 9th IEEE/ACM Int'l Symp. on Cluster Computing and the Grid, Shanghai, May 2009.
- Hunt, G. C. and Scott, M. L., “The Coign Automatic Distributed Partitioning System,” in 3rd USENIX Symp. on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, New Orleans, Feb. 1999.
- Joshi, K., Hiltunen, M. and Jung, G., “Performance Aware Regeneration in Virtualized Multitier Applications,” in DSN'09 Workshop on Proactive Failure Avoidance, Recovery and Maintenance, Lisbon, Jun. 2009.
- Karp, R. M. and Luby, M. and Marchetti-Spaccamela, A., “A probabilistic analysis of multidimensional bin packing problems,” in 16th annual ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, Washington, DC, May 1984.
- Kephart, J. O. and Das, R., “Achieving self-management via utility functions,” IEEE Internet Computing, 11, pp. 40–48, 2007. CrossRef
- Kichkaylo, T. et al., “Constrained Component Deployment in Wide-Area Networks Using AI Planning Techniques,” Int'l. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, 2003.
- Kraemer, F. A. and Herrmann, P., “Service specification by composition of collaborations - an example,” in Proc. of the 2006 Int'l Conf. on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, Hong Kong, IEEE/WIC/ACM, 2006.
- Kusber, R., Haseloff, S. and David, K., “An Approach to Autonomic Deployment Decision Making,” in 3rd Int'l Workshop on Self-Organizing Systems, LNCS 5343, December 2008.
- Malek, S., “A User-Centric Framework for Improving a Distributed Software System's Deployment Architecture,” Proc. of the doctoral track at the 14th ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Foundation of Software Engineering, Portland, 2006.
- Meling, H. and Gilje, J. L., “A Distributed Approach to Autonomous Fault Treatment in Spread,” in 7th European Dependable Computing Conference, IEEE CS, May 2008.
- Meling, H., Montresor, A., Helvik, B. E. and Babaoglu, O., “Jgroup/ARM: a distributed object group platform with autonomous replication management,” Software: Practice and Experience, 38, 9, pp. 885–923, July 2008.
- Pu, C., Noe, J. D. and Proudfoot, A., “Regeneration of replicated objects: A technique and its eden implementation,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 14, 7, pp. 936–945, July 1989.
- Rouvoy, R. and Beauvois, M. and Lozano, L., Lorenzo, J. and Eliassen, F., “MUSIC: an autonomous platform supporting self-adaptive mobile applications,” in 1st workshop on Mobile middleware: embracing the personal communication device, Leuven, Dec. 2008.
- Rubinstein, R. Y., “The Cross-Entropy Method for Combinatorial and Continuous Optimization,” Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability, 1, 2, 1999.
- Sabharwal, R., “Grid infrastructure deployment using smartfrog technology,” in Int'l Conf. on Networking and Services, Santa Clara, USA, pp. 73–79, Jul. 2006.
- Stützle, T. and Dorigo, M., “A short convergence proof for a class of ant colony optimization algorithms,” IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computation, 6, 4, pp. 358–365, 2002. CrossRef
- Verma, A., Ahuja, P. and Neogi, A., “pmapper: power and migration cost aware application placement in virtualized systems,” in 9th Int'l Conf. on Middleware, pp. 243–264, Dec. 2008.
- Widell, N. and Nyberg, C., “Cross Entropy based Module Allocation for Distributed Systems,” in IASTED Int'l Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems, Cambridge, Nov. 2004.
- Wittner, O., “Emergent Behavior Based Implements for Distributed Network Management,” Ph.D. thesis, NTNU, Dept. of Telematics, Norway, 2003.
- Wood, T. and Shenoy, P. J. and Venkataramani, A. and Yousif, M. S., “Black-box and Gray-box Strategies for Virtual Machine Migration,” in 4th USENIX Symp. on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, Cambridge, MA, Apr. 2007.
- Xu, J. et al., “On the use of fuzzy modeling in virtualized data center management,” in Int'l. Conf. on Autonomic Computing, June 2007.
- Yu, H. and Gibbons, P. B., “Optimal inter-object correlation when replicating for availability,” Distributed Computing, 21, 5, pp. 367–384, Feb. 2009.
- Yu, H. and Vahdat, A., “Consistent and automatic replica regeneration,” ACM Trans. on Storage, 1, 1, pp. 3–37, Dec. 2004.
- Zlochin, M. et al., “Model-based search for combinatorial optimization: A critical survey,” Annals of Operations Research, 131, pp. 373–395, 2004.
- A Bio-inspired Method for Distributed Deployment of Services
New Generation Computing
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 185-222
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Verlag Omsha Tokio
- Additional Links
- Service Deployment
- Biologically-inspired Systems
- Decentralized Optimization
- Industry Sectors