Has blood volume an impact on serum PSA levels?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is measured in circulating blood volume (BV), which is known to have a wide inter- and intraindividual variability. As data investigating the potential impact of different BV on PSA test validity are scant, we determined the relationship between BV and serum PSA values.
Men aged 41–60 years, participating in a health screening project, were evaluated. Serum samples of fasting patients were drawn between 8.00 and 10.00 a.m., all PSA measurements were determined in the same laboratory. Circulating BV was calculated according to the Retzlaff formula based on height, weight and haematocrit.
A total of 400 men with a mean age of 47.9 years entered the analysis. Mean PSA was 1.20 ng/ml (range 0.23–8.59 ng/ml) and mean BV was 3,370 ml (range 2,380–4,220 ml). Mean PSA values stratified from lowest to the highest third of BV were 1.22, 1.17 and 1.19 ng/ml in the total cohort. The respective figures for men aged 41–50 years were 1.08, 0.98 and 1.03 ng/ml, and for those aged 51–60 years: 1.47, 1.48 and 1.53 ng/ml. Neither BV nor three other related biometrical parameters (body mass index, waist–hip ratio, body fat percentage) revealed a correlation with the PSA values.
Our data suggest that BV does not have a significant impact on serum PSA values. To exclude a potential minor impact of BV on PSA, larger study cohorts, however, are required.
- Catalona, WJ, Smith, DS, Ratliff, TL, Dodds, KM, Copien, DE, Yuan, JJ, Petros, JA, Andriole, GL (1991) Measurement of prostate-specific antigen in serum as a screening test for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 324: pp. 1156-1161 CrossRef
- Stamey, TA, Yang, N, Hay, AR, McNeal, JE, Freiha, FS, Redwine, E (1987) Prostate-specific antigen as a serum marker for adenocarcinoma for the prostate. N Engl J Med 317: pp. 909-916 CrossRef
- Loeb, S, Catalona, WJ (2007) Prostate-specific antigen in clinical practice. Cancer Lett 249: pp. 30-39 CrossRef
- Gonzalgo, ML, Carter, HB (2007) Update on PSA testing. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 5: pp. 737-742
- Werny, DM, Thompson, T, Saraiya, M, Freedman, D, Kottiri, BJ, German, RR, Wener, M (2007) Obesity is negatively associated with PSA in US men, 2001–2004. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16: pp. 70-76 CrossRef
- Fowke, JH, Signorelle, LB, Chang, SS, Matthews, CE, Buchowski, MS, Cookson, MS, Ukoli, FM, Blot, WJ (2006) Effects of obesity and height on PSA and percentage of fPSA levels among African-American and Caucasian men. Cancer 107: pp. 2361-2367 CrossRef
- Baillargeon, J, Pollock, BH, Kristal, AR, Bradshaw, P, Hernandez, J, Basler, J, Higgins, B, Lynch, S, Rozansky, T, Troyer, D, Thompson, I (2004) The association of BMI and PSA in a population-based study. Cancer 103: pp. 1092-1095 CrossRef
- Freedland, SJ, Platz, EA, Presti, JC, Aronson, WJ, Amling, CL, Kane, CJ, Terris, MK (2006) Obesity, serum PSA and prostate size: implications for prostate cancer detection. J Urol 175: pp. 500-504 CrossRef
- Baraqawi, AB, Golden, BK, O’Donnell, C, Brawer, MK, Crawford, ED (2005) Observed effect of BMI on tPSA and cPSA: analysis from a national screening program. Urology 65: pp. 708-712 CrossRef
- Ku, JH, Kim, ME, Lee, NK, Park, YH, Ahn, JO (2003) Influence of age, anthropometry and hepatic and renal function on serum PSA levels in healthy middle-aged men. Urology 61: pp. 132-136 CrossRef
- Banez, LJ, Hamilton, RJ, Partin, AW, Vollmer, RT, Sun, L, Rodriguez, C, Wang, Y, Terris, MK, Aronson, WJ, Presti, JC, Kane, CJ, Amling, CL, Moul, JW, Freedland, SJ (2007) Obesity-related hemodilution and PSA concentration among men with prostate cancer. JAMA 298: pp. 2275-2280 CrossRef
- Grubb, RL, Black, A, Izmirlian, G, Hickey, TP, Pinsky, PF, Mabie, JE, Riley, TL, Ragard, LR, Prorok, PC, Berg, CD, Crawford, ED, Church, TR, Andriole, GL (2009) Serum PSA hemodilution among obese men undergoing screening in the prostate, lung, colorectal and ovarian cancer screening trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18: pp. 748-751 CrossRef
- Vollmer, RT, Humphrey, PA (2003) Tumor volume in prostate cancer and serum PSA: analysis from a kinetic viewpoint. Am J Clin Pathol 119: pp. 80-89 CrossRef
- Sprenger, KBG, Huber, K, Kratz, W, Henze, E (1987) Nomograms for the prediction of patients’ plasma volume in plasma exchange therapy from height, weight and hematocrit. J Clin Apher 3: pp. 185-190 CrossRef
- Has blood volume an impact on serum PSA levels?
World Journal of Urology
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 693-697
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Tumour marker
- Prostate cancer
- Industry Sectors