Estimated reproductive success of brooders and heritability of growth traits for large yellow croaker (Larimichthys crocea) using microsatellites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We estimated the reproductive success of adult brood fish and the heritability of growth-related traits for large yellow croaker (Larimichthys crocea). We created two independent full-factorial cross groups (1 and 2) by crossing 4 males×4 females and 4 males×3 females, respectively. We measured the body weight (BW), body length (BL), and body height (BH) of 281 individuals from group 1 and 318 individuals from group 2 at 20 months post hatch (harvest age). We also collected a tissue sample from each individual. The parents and offspring were genotyped using six polymorphic microsatellites. Of the 599 offspring, 99.2% were assigned to a single pair of parents. In both groups, some parent pairs produced a large number of offsprings while other pairs did not produce any offspring. The genetic diversity and putative N e were lower in the offsprings than in the parents in both groups. The heritability estimates at 20-month age were 0.13±0.10 for BW, 0.19±0.13 for BL, and 0.09±0.06 for BH. The genetic and phenotype correlation between BW, BL, and BH was close to 1. The results provide basic information for selective breeding and further genetic characterization of large yellow croaker.
- Chevassus B. 1989. Aspects génétiques de la constitution de populations d’élevage destinées au repeuplement. Bull. Fr. Pêche Piscic., 314: 146–168. CrossRef
- Dannewitz J, Petersson E, Dahl J, Prestegaard T, Löf A C, Järvi T. 2004. Reproductive success of hatchery produced and wild-born brown trout in an experimental stream. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41: 355–364. CrossRef
- Dupont-Nivet M, Vandeputte M, Vergnet A, Merdy O, Haffray P, Chavanne H, Chatain B. 2008. Heritabilities and GxE interactions for growth in the European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax L.) using a marker-based pedigree. Aquaculture, 275: 81–87. CrossRef
- Falconer D S, Mackay F C. 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Harlow, Essex, UK.
- Fishback A G, Danzmann R G, Ferguson M M, Gibson J P. 2002. Estimates of genetic parameters and genotype by environment interactions for growth traits of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) as inferred using molecular pedigrees. Aquaculture, 206: 137–150. CrossRef
- Garant D, Dodson J J, Bernatchez L. 2001. A genetic evaluation of mating system and determinants of individual reproductive success in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Heredity, 92: 137–145. CrossRef
- Gheyas A A, Woolliams J A, Taggart J B, Sattar M A, Das T K, McAndrew B J, Penman D J. 2009. Heritability estimation of silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) harvest traits using microsatellite based parentage assignment. Aquaculture, 294: 187–193. CrossRef
- Kalinowski S T, Taper M L, Marshall T C. 2007. Revising how the computer program CERVUS accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Molecular Ecology, 16: 1 099–1 006. CrossRef
- Kocour M, Mauger S, Rodina M, Gela D, Linhart O, Vandeputte M. 2007. Heritability estimates for processing and quality traits in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) using a molecular pedigree. Aquaculture, 270: 43–50. CrossRef
- Li Y, Cai M, Wang Z Y, Guo W, LIU X, Wang X, Ning Y. 2008. Microsatellite-centromere mapping in large yellow croaker (Pseudosciaena crocea) using gynogenetic diploid families. Marine Biotechnology, 10: 83–90. CrossRef
- Ma L, Saillant E, Gatlin III D M, Neill W H, Vega R R, Gold J R. 2007. Heritability of cold tolerance in red drum. North American Journal of Aquaculture, 69: 381–387. CrossRef
- Ma P ed. 2005. Mariculture in Fujian. Fujian Science and Technology Press, Fuzhou, Fujian Province, China.
- Meyer K. 1989. Restricted maximum likelihood to estimate variance components for animal models with several random effects using a derivative-free algorithm. Genet. Sel. Evol., 21: 317–340. CrossRef
- Meyer K. 1991. Estimating variances and covariances for multivariate animal models by restricted maximum likelihood. Genet. Sel. Evol., 23: 67–83. CrossRef
- Neff B D, Fu P, Gross M R. 2000. Microsatellite multiplexing in fish. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 129: 584–593. CrossRef
- Ning Y, Liu X D, Wang Z Y, Guo W, Li Y Y, Xie F J. 2007. A genetic map of large yellow croaker Pseudosciaena crocea. Aquaculture, 264: 16–26. CrossRef
- Saillant E, Ma L, Wang X, Gatlin III D M, Gold J R. 2007. Heritability of juvenile growth traits in red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus L.). Aquaculture Research, 38: 781–788. CrossRef
- SPSS base 13.0 User’s Guide. 2004. SPSS Inc.
- Vandeputte M, Kocour M, Mauger S, Dupont-Nivet M, De Guerry D, Rodina M, Gela D, Vallod D, Chevassus B, Linhart O. 2004. Heritability estimates for growthrelated traits using microsatellite parentage assignment in juvenile common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Aquaculture, 235: 223–236. CrossRef
- Wang X Q, Wang Z Y, He X R. 2010. Estimation of heritability for length and weight for large yellow croaker (larimichthys crocea). Journal of Jimei University (Natural Science), 15: 7–10. (in Chinese with English abstract)
- Wang Z Y, Wang Y, Lin L, Khoo S, Okamoto N. 2002. Genetic polymorphisms in wild and cultured large yellow croaker Pseudosciaena crocea using AFLP fingerprinting. Journal of Fishery Sciences of China, 9: 199–202.
- Wang Z Y, Xie F, Cai M, Liu X, Yao C. 2007. Aquaculture and breeding of large yellow croaker in China. World Aquaculture 2007, Feb.26–Mar.2, 2007, Texas, USA. p.973.
- Wang C M, Lo L C, Zhu Z Y, Lin G, Feng F, Li J, Yang W T, Tan J, Chou R, Lim H S, Orban L, Yue G H. 2008. Estimating reproductive success of brooders and heritability of growth traits in Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer) using microsatellites. Aquaculture Research, 39: 1 612–1 619.
- Wu Q M, Cai M Y, Liu X D, Liu Y, Chen Q L, Yao C L, Wang Z Y. 2009. Induction and microsatellite analysis of homozygous gynogenesis in large yellow croaker Pseudosciaena crocea. Journal of Fisheries of China, 33: 734–741. (in Chinese with English abstract)
- Ye X J. 2008. Microsatellite marker analysis on cultivated groups and artificial meiogynogenetic groups of Pseudosciaena crocea. Master thesis of Jimei University.
- Yue G H, Beeckmann P, Bartenschlager H, Moser G, Geldermann H. 1999. Rapid and precise genotyping of porcine microsatellites. Electrophoresis, 20: 3 358–3 363. CrossRef
- Zhao G T, Liu X D, Wang Z Y, Cai M Y, Yao C L. 2010. Genetic structure and genetic diversity analysis on four consecutive breeding generations of large yellow croaker Pseudosciaena crocea using microsatellite markers. Journal of Fisheries of China, 34: 300–306. (in Chinese with English abstract) CrossRef
- Estimated reproductive success of brooders and heritability of growth traits for large yellow croaker (Larimichthys crocea) using microsatellites
Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology
Volume 29, Issue 5 , pp 990-995
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Science Press
- Additional Links
- Larimichthys crocea
- growth trait
- genetic correlation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Key Laboratory of Healthy Mariculture for East China Sea, Ministry of Agriculture of China, Fisheries College, Jimei University, Xiamen, 361021, China
- 2. Fishery Technical Extension Station of Ningde City, Ninde, 352100, China