Letter to the Editor re: Perfusion MRI for the prediction of treatment response after preoperative chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
• Rectal cancer treatment can be monitored by perfusion MRI.
• Ktrans values vary between responders and non-responders.
• Radiation and chemotherapy may affect Ktrans differently.
We congratulate Lim et al.  on their study investigating DCE-MRI and rectal cancer. In this well-performed and important study, the authors found that pretreatment Ktrans was able to distinguish between responders and non-responders to neoadjuvant chemoradiation in locally advanced, circumferential margin-threatened T3 tumours. Having performed a similar study, published in the same journal, Gollub et al.  did not find that pretreatment Ktrans had predictive value, but rather that post-treatment Ktrans in a select group of patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy only was able to distinguish pathological complete responders from incomplete responders. As the authors of that article, we would like to make several comments, while at the same time emphasise, along with Lim et al., t ...
- Lim, JS, Kim, D, Baek, SE (2012) Perfusion MRI for the prediction of treatment response after preoperative chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer. Eur Radiol 22: pp. 1693-1700 CrossRef
- Gollub, MJ, Gultekin, DH, Akin, O (2012) Dynamic contrast enhanced-MRI for the detection of pathological complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer. Eur Radiol 22: pp. 821-831 CrossRef
- Habr-Gama, A, Perez, RO, Proscurshim, I (2006) Patterns of failure and survival for nonoperative treatment of stage c0 distal rectal cancer following neoadjuvant chemoradiation therapy. J Gastrointest Surg 10: pp. 1319-1328 CrossRef
- Lambregts, DM, Beets, GL, Maas, M (2011) Tumour ADC measurements in rectal cancer: effect of ROI methods on ADC values and interobserver variability. Eur Radiol 21: pp. 2567-2574 CrossRef
- Letter to the Editor re: Perfusion MRI for the prediction of treatment response after preoperative chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 1297-1298
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY, 10065, USA
- 4. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center - Radiology, 1275 York Avenue Room C276F, New York, NY, 10065, USA
- 2. Department of Medical Physics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
- 3. Department of Radiology, Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY, USA