Quantitative analysis of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in malignant breast lesions using different b value combinations
To explore how apparent diffusion coefficients (ADCs) in malignant breast lesions are affected by selection of b values in the monoexponential model and to compare ADCs with diffusion coefficients (Ds) obtained from the biexponential model.
Twenty-four women (mean age 51.3 years) with locally advanced breast cancer were included in this study. Pre-treatment diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging was performed using a 1.5-T system with b values of 0, 50, 100, 250 and 800 s/mm2. Thirteen different b value combinations were used to derive individual monoexponential ADC maps. All b values were used in the biexponential model.
Median ADC (including all b values) and D were 1.04 × 10-3 mm2/s (range 0.82–1.61 × 10-3 mm2/s) and 0.84 × 10-3 mm2/s (range 0.17–1.56 × 10-3 mm2/s), respectively. There was a strong positive correlation between ADCs and Ds. For clinically relevant b value combinations, maximum deviation between ADCs including and excluding low b values (<100 s/mm2) was 11.8 %.
Selection of b values strongly affects ADCs of malignant breast lesions. However, by excluding low b values, ADCs approach biexponential Ds, demonstrating that microperfusion influences the diffusion signal. Thus, care should be taken when ADC calculation includes low b values.
• Diffusion-weighted sequences are increasingly used in breast magnetic resonance imaging
• Diffusion-weighting (b) values strongly influence apparent diffusion coefficients of malignant lesions
• Exclusion of low b values reduces the apparent diffusion coefficient
• Flow-insensitive monoexponential apparent diffusion coefficients approach biexponential diffusion coefficients
- Quantitative analysis of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in malignant breast lesions using different b value combinations
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 1027-1033
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC)
- Monoexponential model
- Biexponential model
- Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiation Biology, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4959, Nydalen, 0424, Oslo, Norway
- 2. Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1078, Blindern, 0316, Oslo, Norway
- 3. Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Division of Diagnostics and Intervention, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4959, Nydalen, 0424, Oslo, Norway
- 4. Department of Diagnostic Physics, The Interventional Centre, Division of Diagnostics and Intervention, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4950, Nydalen, 0424, Oslo, Norway
- 5. Department of Health Sciences, Buskerud University College, P.O. Box 7053, 3007, Drammen, Norway