Facet joint injections as a means of reducing the need for vertebroplasty in insufficiency fractures of the spine
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent publications compared treatment of vertebral fractures reporting improvement in the majority but with no significant difference between the local anaesthetic and vertebroplasty groups. Potential explanations include placebo response or therapeutic response to the “control procedure”. We investigated whether preliminary facet joint injection can identify those patients whose pain arises from paravertebral structures rather than the vertebral insufficiency fracture itself.
Patients referred for treatment by vertebroplasty were first offered local anaesthetic and steroid facet joint injection (FJI) at the most painful level. Those who failed to respond were offered a vertebroplasty.
Ninety one patients referred, 16 went straight to vertebroplasty. Sixty one of 75 were initially offered FJI. Twenty one were successful; two relapsed, had further FJIs with good results; three declined treatment; 5 had temporary benefit; 1 died from unrelated causes. Of 29 who failed to respond to FJIs, 24 underwent vertebroplasty and 23 had a successful outcome.
A third of patients technically suitable for vertebroplasty responded beneficially to FJI. In this group the pain mediator maybe one of instability and overload on the facet joints produced by adjacent wedge fracture. This protocol allows more selective and more successful vertebroplasty.
- Tran Thang NN, Abdo G, Martin JB et al (2008) Percutaneous cementoplasty in multiple myeloma: a valuable adjunct for pain control and ambulation maintenance. Support Care Cancer 16:891–896. doi:10.1007/s00520-007-0344-6 CrossRef
- Yang Z, Yang D, Xie L et al (2009) Treatment of metastatic spinal tumors by percutaneous vertebroplasty versus percutaneous vertebroplasty combined with interstitial implantation of 125I seeds. Acta Radiol 50:1142–1148. doi:10.3109/02841850903229133 CrossRef
- Galibert P, Deramond H, Rosat P, Le Gars D (1987) Preliminary note on the treatment of vertebral angioma by percutaneous acrylic vertebroplasty. Neurochirurgie 33:166–168
- Franc J, Lehmann P, Saliou G et al (2010) Vertebroplasty: 10 years clinical and radiological follow-up. J Neuroradiol 37:211–219. doi:10.1016/j.neurad.2009.10.004 CrossRef
- Rami PM, McGraw JK, Heatwole EV, Boorstein JM (2002) Percutaneous vertebroplasty in the treatment of vertebral body compression fracture secondary to osteogenesis imperfecta. Skeletal Radiol 31:162–165. doi:10.1007/s00256-001-0448-x CrossRef
- Acosta FL Jr, Sanai N, Chi JH et al (2008) Comprehensive management of symptomatic and aggressive vertebral hemangiomas. Neurosurg Clin N Am 19:17–29. doi:10.1016/j.nec.2007.09.010 CrossRef
- Gerszten PC, Monaco EA 3rd (2009) Complete percutaneous treatment of vertebral body tumors causing spinal canal compromise using a transpedicular cavitation, cement augmentation, and radiosurgical technique. Neurosurg Focus 27:E9. doi:10.3171/2009.9.FOCUS09184 CrossRef
- Wardlaw D, Cummings SR, Van Meirhaeghe J et al (2009) Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 373:1016–1024. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60010-6 CrossRef
- Rotter R, Martin H, Fuerderer S et al (2010) Vertebral body stenting: a new method for vertebral augmentation versus kyphoplasty. Eur Spine J 19:916–923. doi:10.1007/s00586-010-1341-x CrossRef
- Deramond H, Depriester C, Toussaint P, Galibert P (1997) Percutaneous vertebroplasty. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol 1:285–296. doi:10.1055/s-2008-1080150 CrossRef
- Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ et al (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med 361:569–579. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa0900563 CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR et al (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 361:557–568. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa0900429 CrossRef
- Facet joint injections as a means of reducing the need for vertebroplasty in insufficiency fractures of the spine
Volume 21, Issue 8 , pp 1772-1778
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Zygapophyseal Joint
- Spinal Fractures
- Fractures spontaneous
- Industry Sectors