Lupus or tuberculosis: which comes first?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We read with interest the recent proposal by Ghosh and colleagues  that tuberculosis (TB) may precipitate lupus in genetically predisposed patients from endemic areas. Many previous studies reported the increase of TB infections in lupus [2, 3]. Lupus and TB are all closely related to the host immunity, and there is a controversy of ‘hen and egg question’ of which comes first. Our authors looked to see which case would precede the other by performing autoimmune target (AIT) test , known as an excellent autoantibody test, in patients who were confirmed as TB.
Among 45 TB-infected patients, 27 (60.0%) patients showed positive results in AIT tests. AIT test is an epochal autoantibody test which uses the human macrophage cell (IT-1) as a substrate that is intended to improve the limitation of HEp-2 cell as in the conventional test. It has been commercialized and is being used in South Korea under the name of AIT test since the approval by Korea Food and Drug Administration (KFDA). Fo ...
- Ghosh, K, Patwardhan, M, Pradhan, V (2009) Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection precipitates SLE in patients from endemic areas. Rheumatol Int 29: pp. 1047-1050 CrossRef
- Erdozain, JG, Ruiz-Irastorza, G, Egurbide, MV, Martinez-Berriotxoa, A, Aguirre, C (2006) High risk of tuberculosis in systemic lupus erythematosus?. Lupus 15: pp. 232-235 CrossRef
- Yun, JE, Lee, SW, Kim, TH, Jun, JB, Jung, S, Bae, SC, Kim, TY, Yoo, DH (2002) The incidence and clinical characteristics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection among systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis patients in Korea. Clin Exp Rheumatol 20: pp. 127-132
- Le Goff, P, Saraux, A, Youinou, P (1997) New autoantibodies in rheumatoid arthritis. Rev Rhum Engl Ed 64: pp. 638-644
- Kim, TY, Chang, SY, Kim, SY (1995) New autoantibodies (anti-MTOC) detected by macrophage cell line (IT-1) in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 38: pp. S255
- Kim, TY, Chun, LH (2000) A new autoantibody (anti-GiM) in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 43: pp. S186 CrossRef
- Arbuckle, MR, McClain, MT, Rubertone, MV, Scofield, RH, Dennis, GJ, James, JA, Harley, JB (2003) Development of autoantibodies before the clinical onset of systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 349: pp. 1526-1533 CrossRef
- Lupus or tuberculosis: which comes first?
Volume 30, Issue 11 , pp 1541-1542
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Rheumatism, The Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, Hanyang University Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
- 2. Department of Early Arthritis/Laboratory Medicine, The Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, Hanyang University Medical Center, 17 Haengdang-Dong, Seongdong-Gu, Seoul, South Korea