High-frequency sensorineural hearing loss in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: is it an extrarticuler feature of disease?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to investigate the ear involvement, especially at extended higher frequencies than those previously studied, in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
Patients and methods
We prospectively evaluated 45 consecutive patients with AS. All patients underwent a complete physical examination of the ear, nose, and throat and an audiologic evaluation that included pure-tone audiometry at conventional and extended high frequencies, the determination of a speech discrimination score and the uncomfortable loudness level, and impedance audiometry. Thirty healthy volunteers were included as controls.
The mean age of the patients was 39.6 ± 9.1 years (range 19–63 years) and that of the controls was 10.6 ± 8.1 years (range 1–30 years). There was no statistically significant difference between the two groups with respect to conventional frequency air conduction threshold and bone conduction threshold. There was a statistically significant difference at 14,000–16,000 Hz at extended high frequencies in 32 patients with AS (71.1%) versus 12 controls (40%). At 14,000–16,000 Hz, eight patients demonstrated a sensorineural hearing loss caused by extraspinal involvement. There was a significant difference between the patients with or without extraspinal involvement, and a positive correlation was noted between the duration of disease and the hearing level at 10,000–16,000 Hz.
Sensorineural hearing loss, especially at extended high frequencies, is common in patients with AS and may be an extra-articular feature of that disease. A long duration of disease and extraspinal involvement are important parameters for ear involvement in patients with AS.
- Davis, CD Ankylosing spondylitis. In: Koopman, WJ, Moreland, LW eds. (2005) Arthritis and allied conditions: a textbook of rheumatology. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp. 1319-1334
- Vernon-Roberts, B Ankylosing spondylitis: pathology. In: Hochberg, MC, Silman, AJ, Smolen, JS, Weinblatt, ME, Weisman, MH eds. (2003) Rheumatology. Mosby, Barcelona, pp. 1205-1210
- Alatas, N, Yazgan, P, Ozturk, A, San, I, Iynen, I (2005) Audiological findings in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. J Laryngol Otol 119: pp. 534-539 CrossRef
- Casellini, C, Citera, G, Rosemffet, M, Ruggeri, S, Saviotti, A, Maldonado Cocco, JA (2005) Audiovestibular disorders in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. J Clin Rheumatol 11: pp. 81-85 CrossRef
- Erbek, SS, Erbek, HS, Yilmaz, S, Topal, O, Yucel, E, Ozluoglu, LN (2006) Cochleovestibular dysfunction in ankylosing spondylitis. Audiol Neurootol 11: pp. 294-300 CrossRef
- Papadimitraki, ED, Kyrmizakis, DE, Kritikos, I, Boumpas, DT (2004) Ear–nose–throat manifestations of autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Clin Exp Rheumatol 22: pp. 485-494
- Magaro, M, Ceresia, G, Frustaci, A (1984) Arthritis of the middle ear in ankylosing spondylitis.. Ann Rheum Dis 43: pp. 658-659
- Miguel, E, Tomas, M, Benito, S, Gavilan, J, Gijon, J (1987) Ankylosing spondylitis and middle ear impairment.. Ann Rheum Dis 46: pp. 174 CrossRef
- Corapci, I, Armagan, O, Tascioglu, F, Oner, C (2004) Sensorineural hearing loss in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis.. Rheumatol Int 24: pp. 252-3 CrossRef
- Raza, K, Karokis, D, Wilson, F, Delamere, JP (1998) Sensorineural hearing loss, iritis and ankylosing spondylitis.. Br J Rheumatol 37: pp. 1363 CrossRef
- Yeo, SW, Park, SN (2001) Immune-mediated sensorineural hearing loss in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis: a case report.. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125: pp. 113-114 CrossRef
- Camilleri, AE, Swan, IR, Sturrock, R (1991) Chronic otitis media and ankylosing spondylitis: an HLA association?. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 16: pp. 364-366 CrossRef
- Wang, G, Liu, Y, Bao, C, Rui, F, Guo, X, Li, X, Zhou, Y (2000) Relationships between ankylosing spondylitis and ear disease. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 35: pp. 117-119
- Xu, L, Pfaltz, CR, Arnold, W (1993) Human leukocyte antigens in patients with inner ear diseases of unknown etiology. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 55: pp. 125-134
- Seligmann, H, Podoshin, L, Ben David, J, Fradis, M, Goldsher, M (1996) Drug-induced tinnitus and other hearing disorders.. Drug Saf 14: pp. 198-212 CrossRef
- Jung, TT, Rhee, CK, Lee, CS, Park, YS, Choi, DC (1993) Ototoxicity of salicylate, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and quinine. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 26: pp. 791-810
- Savastano, M, Marioni, G, Bernini, G, Punzi, L (2005) Tinnitus and bilateral sensorineural hearing loss: ankylosing spondylitis or a side-effect of sulphasalazine treatment?. Acta Otolaryngol 125: pp. 671-3
- High-frequency sensorineural hearing loss in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: is it an extrarticuler feature of disease?
Volume 28, Issue 5 , pp 413-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Sensorineural hearing loss
- High frequency
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Dadaloglu Mah. 39 Sok. No:6, 01250, Yuregir, Adana, Turkey
- 2. Department of Oto-rhinolaringology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
- 3. Department of Rheumatology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey