Studies of moisture induced crosslinking in a novel vinyl ether-maleic anhydride copolymer
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A novel vinyl ether, 2,2-dimethyl-4-vinyloxymethyl-l,3-dioxolane (DMVMD), that has a dimethyl ketal protected vicinal diol functionality, was synthesizied from readily available starting materials, such as glycerol, acetone and acetylene. Copolymerisation of DMVMD with maleic anhydride (MAH) in various molar ratios was carried out using a free radical initiator. The composition of the copolymer was established by conductometric titration, and was found to be 1:1 irrespective of the monomer feed composition thus establishing its alternating nature. The copolymer formed clear free standing films upon solvent casting which became insoluble upon prolonged exposure to ambeint atmosphere. The insolubility is ascribed to moisture induced crosslinking. A plausible mechanism for the crosslinking involves the hydrolysis of some of the anhydride groups, followed by acid catalysed deketalization, and then by the reaction of the alcoholic groups, thus generated, with the residual anhydride to give ester crosslinks. This hypothesis was confirmed both by model reactions and insitu FT-IR studies.
- M. Miyamoto, M. Sawamoto and T. Higashimura, Macromolecules 17, 265 (1984). CrossRef
- T. Higashimura and M. Sawamoto in Comprehensive Polymer Science, Vol 3 (partl). G. W. Allen and J. C. Bevington Eds. Pergamon Press, Oxford, (1989) chapter 42, p. 673.
- M. Minoda, M. Sawamoto and T. Higashimura, Macromolecules 20, 2045 (1987). CrossRef
- J. M. G. Cowie in Comprehensive Polymer Science Vol 4, G. W. Allen and J. C. Bevington, Eds. Pergamon Press, Oxford, (1989) chapter 22, p. 377
- P. Keller, Makromol Chem., Rapid Commun., 6, 707 (1985) CrossRef
- Although the synthesis of this monomer and some attempts to homopolymerize it was reported in the early literature by Shoshtakovskii et al., very little details were provided. M. F. Shoshtakovskii, A. S. Atavin, N. P. Vasiliev, P. I. Dubova, L. P. Dmitrieva and A. I. Mikhaleva, Izv. Akad. Nauk. SSSR, Ser. Khim. 7, 1232 (1966)
- B. Herald, P. Josef, W. Christian (Bayer AG) Eur. Pat. Appl. EP 307701 March (1989). CA: lll:P176301y. B. Herald, P. Josef, W. Christian (Bayer AG) Eur. Pat. Appl. EP 284,953 October (1988). CA: 110:P194759n.
- K. Fujimori and N. A. Wickratnasinghe, J. Natn. Sei. Coun. Srilanka 7, 45, (1979)
- J. Klein and K. Blumberg, Makromol. Chem., Rapid Commun. 7, 621 (1986) CrossRef
- Studies of moisture induced crosslinking in a novel vinyl ether-maleic anhydride copolymer
Volume 38, Issue 5 , pp 537-543
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors