C6 ceramide potentiates curcumin-induced cell death and apoptosis in melanoma cell lines in vitro
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The majority of metastatic melanomas are resistant to diverse chemotherapeutic agents, and long-term survival for patients with melanoma who have metastatic disease is dismal. Consequently, the search for novel anti-melanoma agents is urgent. Here, we evaluate the potential effects of C6 ceramide to sensitize melanoma cell lines (B16 and WM-115 cells) to curcumin-induced cell death.
MTT (3-(4,5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide) assay was used to test melanoma cell viability in vitro. Hoechst 33342 fluorescence and Histone DNA ELISA was used to evaluate melanoma cell apoptosis. Apoptosis-associated proteins in melanoma cells after treatments were measured by Western blot.
C6 ceramide promotes curcumin-induced cell death and apoptosis in B16 and WM-115 melanoma cell lines. Curcumin itself promotes pro-apoptosis protein Caspase 3 and Caspase 9 cleavage and anti-apoptosis protein Bcl-XL and X-IAP degradation, and combination of C6 ceramide with curcumin dramatically enhances it. Caspase inhibitors largely inhibit C6-ceramide plus curcumin induced cell death and apoptosis.
We suggest that C6 ceramide sensitizes melanoma cell to curcumin induced cell death and apoptosis in vitro, which is due to, at least in part, the augment of mitochondria apoptosis pathway. Combining C6 ceramide with traditional chemotherapy drugs such as curcumin may have potential to be used as a new therapeutic intervention against melanoma.
- Auzenne E, Leroux ME, Hu M, Pollock RE, Feig B, Klostergaard J (1998) Cytotoxic effects of sphingolipids as single or multi-modality agents on human melanoma and soft tissue sarcoma in vitro. Melanoma Res 8:227–239 CrossRef
- Balch CM, Buzaid AC, Soong SJ, Atkins MB, Cascinelli N, Coit DG, Fleming ID, Gershenwald JE, Houghton A Jr, Kirkwood JM, McMasters KM, Mihm MF, Morton DL, Reintgen DS, Ross MI, Sober A, Thompson JA, Thompson JF (2001) Final version of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma. J Clin Oncol 19:3635–3648
- Balch CM, Soong SJ, Gershenwald JE, Thompson JF, Reintgen DS, Cascinelli N, Urist M, McMasters KM, Ross MI, Kirkwood JM, Atkins MB, Thompson JA, Coit DG, Byrd D, Desmond R, Zhang Y, Liu PY, Lyman GH, Morabito A (2001) Prognostic factors analysis of 17, 600 melanoma patients: validation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer melanoma staging system. J Clin Oncol 19:3622–3634
- Bill MA, Bakan C, Benson DM Jr, Fuchs J, Young G, Lesinski GB (2009) Curcumin induces proapoptotic effects against human melanoma cells and modulates the cellular response to immunotherapeutic cytokines. Mol Cancer Ther 8:2726–2735 CrossRef
- Bush JA, Cheung KJ Jr, Li G (2001) Curcumin induces apoptosis in human melanoma cells through a Fas receptor/caspase-8 pathway independent of p53. Exp Cell Res 271:305–314 CrossRef
- Cao C, Huang X, Han Y, Wan Y, Birnbaumer L, Feng GS, Marshall J, Jiang M, Chu WM (2009) Galpha(i1) and Galpha(i3) are required for epidermal growth factor-mediated activation of the Akt-mTORC1 pathway. Sci Signal 2:ra17
- Deshpande D, Devalapally H, Amiji M (2008) Enhancement in anti-proliferative effects of paclitaxel in aortic smooth muscle cells upon co-administration with ceramide using biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles. Pharm Res 25:1936–1947 CrossRef
- Koh HK (1991) Cutaneous melanoma. N Engl J Med 325:171–182 CrossRef
- Marin YE, Wall BA, Wang S, Namkoong J, Martino JJ, Suh J, Lee HJ, Rabson AB, Yang CS, Chen S, Ryu JH (2007) Curcumin downregulates the constitutive activity of NF-kappaB and induces apoptosis in novel mouse melanoma cells. Melanoma Res 17:274–283 CrossRef
- Myrick D, Blackinton D, Klostergaard J, Kouttab N, Maizel A, Wanebo H, Mehta S (1999) Paclitaxel-induced apoptosis in Jurkat, a leukemic T cell line, is enhanced by ceramide. Leuk Res 23:569–578 CrossRef
- Qiu L, Zhou C, Sun Y, Di W, Scheffler E, Healey S, Wanebo H, Kouttab N, Chu W, Wan Y (2006) Paclitaxel and ceramide synergistically induce cell death with transient activation of EGFR and ERK pathway in pancreatic cancer cells. Oncol Rep 16:907–913
- Radin NS, Shayman JA, Inokuchi J (1993) Metabolic effects of inhibiting glucosylceramide synthesis with PDMP and other substances. Adv Lipid Res 26:183–213
- Rigel DS, Friedman RJ, Kopf AW (1996) The incidence of malignant melanoma in the United States: issues as we approach the 21st century. J Am Acad Dermatol 34:839–847 CrossRef
- Wang L, Shen Y, Song R, Sun Y, Xu J, Xu Q (2009) An anticancer effect of curcumin mediated by down-regulating phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 expression on highly metastatic melanoma cells. Mol Pharmacol 76:1238–1245 CrossRef
- C6 ceramide potentiates curcumin-induced cell death and apoptosis in melanoma cell lines in vitro
Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
Volume 66, Issue 5 , pp 999-1003
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- C6 ceramide
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Dermatology, Jining First People’s Hospital, 6 Jiankang Road, 272111, Jining, Shandong Province, People’s Republic of China
- 2. Department of Dermatology, Third Hospital of Hang Zhou, Hang Zhou Westlake Road, 310009, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, People’s Republic of China
- 3. Central Lab, Jining First People’s Hospital, 6 Jiankang Road, 272111, Jining, Shandong Province, People’s Republic of China