Vandetanib with FOLFIRI in patients with advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma: results from an open-label, multicentre Phase I study
- Mark P. SaundersAffiliated withChristie Hospital Email author
- , Richard WilsonAffiliated withBelfast City Hospital
- , Marc PeetersAffiliated withUniversity Hospital Ghent
- , Robert SmithAffiliated withAstraZeneca
- , Alex GodwoodAffiliated withAstraZeneca
- , Stuart OliverAffiliated withAstraZeneca
- , Eric Van CutsemAffiliated withUniversity Hospital Gasthuisberg
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The safety and tolerability of vandetanib (ZACTIMA™; ZD6474) plus FOLFIRI was investigated in patients with advanced colorectal cancer (CRC).
Patients eligible for first- or second-line chemotherapy received once-daily oral doses of vandetanib (100 or 300 mg) plus 14-day treatment cycles of FOLFIRI.
A total of 21 patients received vandetanib 100 mg (n = 11) or 300 mg (n = 10) + FOLFIRI. Combination therapy was well tolerated at both vandetanib dose levels. There were no DLTs in the vandetanib 100 mg cohort and one DLT of hypertension (CTCAE grade 3) in the 300 mg cohort. The most common adverse events were diarrhoea (n = 20), nausea (n = 12) and fatigue (n = 10). Two patients (one in each cohort) discontinued vandetanib due to adverse events (rash, 100 mg cohort; hypertension, 300 mg cohort). There was no apparent pharmacokinetic interaction between vandetanib and FOLFIRI. Preliminary efficacy results included two confirmed partial responses in the 100 mg cohort and 9 patients with stable disease ≥8 weeks (100 mg, n = 7; 300 mg, n = 2).
Once-daily vandetanib (100 or 300 mg) in combination with a standard FOLFIRI regimen was generally well tolerated in patients with advanced CRC.
KeywordsVandetanib FOLFIRI Colorectal cancer
- Vandetanib with FOLFIRI in patients with advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma: results from an open-label, multicentre Phase I study
Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
Volume 64, Issue 4 , pp 665-672
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Colorectal cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
- 2. Belfast City Hospital, Belfast, UK
- 3. University Hospital Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
- 4. AstraZeneca, Macclesfield, UK
- 5. AstraZeneca, Loughborough, UK
- 6. University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium