Annals of Hematology

, Volume 89, Issue 5, pp 475–482

Clinical efficacy of a bortezomib, cyclophosphamide, thalidomide, and dexamethasone (Vel-CTD) regimen in patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma: a phase II study

  • Yeo-Kyeoung Kim
  • Sang-Kyun Sohn
  • Jae-Hoon Lee
  • Deok-Hwan Yang
  • Joon-Ho Moon
  • Jae-Sook Ahn
  • Hyeoung-Joon Kim
  • Je-Jung Lee
  • The Korean Multiple Myeloma Working Party (KMMWP)
Original Article

DOI: 10.1007/s00277-009-0856-x

Cite this article as:
Kim, Y., Sohn, S., Lee, J. et al. Ann Hematol (2010) 89: 475. doi:10.1007/s00277-009-0856-x

Abstract

The clinical efficacy and safety of a four-drug combination of bortezomib, cyclophosphamide, thalidomide, and dexamethasone was assessed for patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. Seventy patients received at least two cycles of treatment with bortezomib 1.3 mg/m2 intravenously on days 1, 4, 8, and 11; cyclophosphamide 150 mg/m2 orally on days 1–4; thalidomide 50 mg/day orally every day; and dexamethasone 20 mg/m2 intravenously on days 1, 4, 8, and 11. The overall best response rate was 88%, with 46% complete response, 9% very good partial response, and 33% partial response. After a median follow-up of 12.6 months, the median progression-free survival (PFS) was 14.6 months with a 3-year PFS of 14% and the median overall survival (OS) was 31.6 months with a 3-year OS of 47%. Grade 3 or 4 adverse events included thrombocytopenia (12%), neutropenia (4%), peripheral sensory neuropathy (3%), with thrombosis being very rare (<1%). Bortezomib combined with cyclophosphamide, thalidomide, and dexamethasone is a highly effective salvage therapy with manageable toxicity for patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma.

Keywords

Multiple myelomaRelapseRefractoryBortezomibThalidomide

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2009

Authors and Affiliations

  • Yeo-Kyeoung Kim
    • 1
  • Sang-Kyun Sohn
    • 2
  • Jae-Hoon Lee
    • 3
  • Deok-Hwan Yang
    • 1
  • Joon-Ho Moon
    • 2
  • Jae-Sook Ahn
    • 1
  • Hyeoung-Joon Kim
    • 1
  • Je-Jung Lee
    • 1
    • 4
    • 5
  • The Korean Multiple Myeloma Working Party (KMMWP)
    • 4
  1. 1.Chonnam National University Medical SchoolGwangjuRepublic of Korea
  2. 2.Kyungpook National University Medical SchoolDaeguRepublic of Korea
  3. 3.Gachon UniversityIncheonRepublic of Korea
  4. 4.The Brain Korea 21 ProjectCenter for Biomedical Human Resources at Chonnam National UniversityGwangjuRepublic of Korea
  5. 5.Department of Hematology–OncologyChonnam National University Hwasun HospitalHwasun-gunRepublic of Korea