Lenalidomide in 5q minus myelodysplastic syndrome: how long is enough?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the spring of 2005, a female patient aged 67 years at that time was referred to our service because of progressive haemoglobin decline. There was no history of bleeding. In 1997, in an external institution, bone marrow aspiration and cytogenetic analysis yielded the diagnosis of a myelodysplatic syndrome with a 5q-minus deletion (del5q), type 5q-minus syndrome (5q-Syn). Our laboratory tests revealed severe anaemia (haemoglobin 5 g/dL) as well as leucopenia [2.8 × 109/L (normal range, 3.7–9.6 × 109/L)], while overall neutrophil and thrombocyte counts were in the normal ranges. Given the symptomatic anaemia, erythrocyte concentrate transfusions were initiated. In May 2006, we started oral therapy with lenalidomide (10 mg/day for 21 days; 28-day cycle). Already by mid-July 2006, the patient had reached a haemoglobin value of 12 g/dL (Fig. 1). Until October 2006, four lenalidomide cycles were administered in total. Except for transient neutropenia grade III, no other side ef ...
- List A, Kurtin S, Roe DJ, Buresh A, Mahadevan D, Fuchs D et al (2005) Efficacy of lenalidomide in myelodysplastic syndrome. N Engl J Med 352(6):549–557 CrossRef
- Giagounidis A, Haase S, Heinsch M, Göhring G, Schlegelberger B, Aul C (2007) Lenalidomide in the context of complex karyotype of interrupted treatment: case reviews of del(5q)MDS patients with unexpected responses. Ann Hematol 86:133–137 CrossRef
- Kelaidi C, Eclache V, Fenaux P (2008) The role of lenalidomide in the management of myelodysplasia with del 5q. Br J Hematol 140(3):267–278 CrossRef
- Giagounidis A, Fenaux P, Mufti GJ, Muus P, Platzbecker U, Sanz G et al (2008) Practical recommendations on the use of lenalidomide in the management of myelodysplastic syndromes. Ann Hematol 87:345–352 CrossRef
- List A, Dewald G, Bennett J, Giagounidis A, Raza A, Feldman E et al (2006) Lenalidomide in the myelodysplastic syndrome with chromosome 5q deletion. N Engl J Med 355(14):1456–1465 CrossRef
- Raza A, Reeves JA, Feldman EJ, Dewald GW, Bennett JM, Deeg HJ et al (2008) Phase 2 study of lenalidomide in transfusion-dependent, low-risk, and intermediate-1-risk myelodysplastic syndromes with karyotypes other than deletion 5q. Blood 111:86–93 CrossRef
- Mohr B, Oelschlaegel U, Thiede C, Stewart MM, Ehninger G, Platzbecker U (2009) The response to lenalidomide of myelodysplastic syndrome patients with deletion del (5q) can be sequentially monitored in CD34+ progentior cells. Haematologica 94:430–431. doi:10.3324/haematol13865 CrossRef
- Lenalidomide in 5q minus myelodysplastic syndrome: how long is enough?
Annals of Hematology
Volume 89, Issue 1 , pp 105-106
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links