Histiocytic sarcoma localised in the thyroid—a case report
“Histiocytic sarcoma” is a rare haematological neoplasm with immunohistochemical and morphological diagnostic criteria per exclusionem. In this case report, our patient illustrates that this rare tumour with its unique location and diagnostic morphologic criteria is sensitive to a combination of anthracycline-based chemotherapy and radiotherapy, resulting in complete response for 2 years.
A 64-year-old Caucasian woman presented with an asymptomatic, gradually enlarging neck mass at the Outpatient Department of Internal Medicine. Laboratory results showed subclinical hypothyroidism. Thyroid scintigraphy revealed a cold nodule in the left lower thyroid lobe. Results of aspiration cytology were compatible with an infected cyst. Based on the presence of a goitre, subclinical hypothyroidism and auto-antithyroid peroxidase antibodies >600 kU/L, a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis was suspected and treated with levothyroxin. Five months later she developed neck pain. Pre-operati ...
- Pathology and genetics of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissue. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), Lyon
- Alexiev, BA, Sailey, CJ, McClure, SA, Ord, RA, Zhao, XF, Papadimitriou, JC (2007) Primary histiocytic sarcoma arising in the head and neck with predominant spindle cell component. Diagn Pathol 2: pp. 7-14 CrossRef
- Vos, JA, Abbondanzo, SL, Barekman, CL, Andriko, JW, Miettinen, M, Aguilera, NS (2005) Histiocytic sarcoma: a study of five cases including the histiocyte marker CD163. Mod Pathol 18: pp. 693-704 CrossRef
- Pileri, SA, Grogan, TM, Harris, NL, Banks, P, Campo, E, Chan, JK, Favera, RD, Delsol, G, Wolf-Peeters, C, Falini, B, Gascoyne, RD, Gaulard, P, Gatter, KC, Isaacson, PG, Jaffe, ES, Kluin, P, Knowles, DM, Mason, DY, Mori, S, Müller-Hermelink, HK, Piris, MA, Ralfkiaer, E, Stein, H, Su, IJ, Warnke, RA, Weiss, LM (2002) Tumours of histiocytes and accessory dendritic cells: an immunohistochemical approach to classification from the International Lymphoma Study Group based on 61 cases. Histopathology 41: pp. 1-29 CrossRef
- Abidi, MH, Tove, I, Ibrahim, RB, Maria, D, Peres, E (2007) Thalidomide for the treatment of histiocytic sarcoma after haematopoietic stem cell transplant. Am J Hematol 82: pp. 932–933 CrossRef
- Histiocytic sarcoma localised in the thyroid—a case report
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Annals of Hematology
Volume 87, Issue 8 , pp 681-682
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Deventer Hospital, Deventer, The Netherlands
- 3. Department of Internal Oncology, Erasmus Medical Centre–Daniel den Hoed Hospital, P.O. Box 5201, 3008 AE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Clinical Pathology, Deventer Hospital, Deventer, The Netherlands