Three-Dimensional Path Planning Software-Assisted Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt: A Technical Modification
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study was designed to report our results with a modified technique of three-dimensional (3D) path planning software assisted transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS).
3D path planning software was recently developed to facilitate TIPS creation by using two carbon dioxide portograms acquired at least 20° apart to generate a 3D path for overlay needle guidance. However, one shortcoming is that puncturing along the overlay would be technically impossible if the angle of the liver access set and the angle of the 3D path are not the same. To solve this problem, a prototype 3D path planning software was fitted with a utility to calculate the angle of the 3D path. Using this, we modified the angle of the liver access set accordingly during the procedure in ten patients.
Failure for technical reasons occurred in three patients (unsuccessful wedged hepatic venography in two cases, software technical failure in one case). The procedure was successful in the remaining seven patients, and only one needle pass was required to obtain portal vein access in each case. The course of puncture was comparable to the 3D path in all patients. No procedure-related complication occurred following the procedures.
Adjusting the angle of the liver access set to match the angle of the 3D path determined by the software appears to be a favorable modification to the technique of 3D path planning software assisted TIPS.
- Boyer TD, Haskal ZJ (2010) The role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in the management of portal hypertension: update 2009. Hepatology 51(1):306 CrossRef
- Saxon RR, Keller FS (1997) Technical aspects of accessing the portal vein during the TIPS procedure. J Vasc Interv Radiol 8(5):733–744 CrossRef
- Adamus R, Pfister M, Loose RW (2009) Enhancing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt puncture by using three-dimensional path planning based on the back projection of two two-dimensional portographs. Radiology 251(2):543–547 CrossRef
- Ferral H, Bilbao JI (2005) The difficult transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: alternative techniques and “tips” to successful shunt creation. Semin Interv Radiol 22(4):300–308 CrossRef
- Krajina A, Hulek P, Fejfar T, Valek V (2012) Quality improvement guidelines for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS). Cardiovasc Interv Radiol 35(6):1295–1300 CrossRef
- Teitelbaum GP, Van Allan RJ, Reed RA, Hanks S, Katz MD (1993) Portal venous branch targeting with a platinum-tipped wire to facilitate transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) procedures. Cardiovasc Interv Radiol 16(3):198–200 CrossRef
- Foshager M, Ferral H, Finlay D, Castaneda-Zuniga W, Letourneau J (1994) Color Doppler sonography of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS). AJR Am J Roentgenol 163(1):105–111 CrossRef
- Warner DL, Owens CA, Hibbeln JF, Ray CE Jr (1995) Indirect localization of the portal vein during a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt procedure: placement of a radiopaque marker in the hepatic artery. J Vasc Interv Radiol 6(1):87–89 CrossRef
- Kee ST, Rhee JS, Butts K, Daniel B, Pauly J, Kerr A et al (1999) MR-guided transjugular portosystemic shunt placement in a swine model. J Vasc Interv Radiol 10(5):529–535 CrossRef
- Solomon SB, Magee C, Acker DE, Venbrux AC (1999) TIPS placement in swine, guided by electromagnetic real-time needle tip localization displayed on previously acquired 3-D CT. Cardiovasc Interv Radiol 22(5):411–414 CrossRef
- Rose SC, Pretorius DH, Nelson TR, Kinney TB, Huynh TV, Roberts AC et al (2000) Adjunctive 3D US for achieving portal vein access during transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt procedures. J Vasc Interv Radiol 11(5):611–621 CrossRef
- Farsad K, Fuss C, Kolbeck KJ, Barton RE, Lakin PC, Keller FS et al (2012) Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation using intravascular ultrasound guidance. J Vasc Interv Radiol 23(12):1594–1602 CrossRef
- Debernardi-Venon W, Bandi J, García-Pagán JC, Moitinho E, Andreu V, Real M et al (2000) CO2 wedged hepatic venography in the evaluation of portal hypertension. Gut 46(6):856–860 CrossRef
- Schweikard A, Glosser G, Bodduluri M, Murphy MJ, Adler JR (2000) Robotic motion compensation for respiratory movement during radiosurgery. Comput Aided Surg 5(4):263–277 CrossRef
- Clifford MA, Banovac F, Levy E, Cleary K (2002) Assessment of hepatic motion secondary to respiration for computer assisted interventions. Comput Aided Surg 7(5):291–299 CrossRef
- Three-Dimensional Path Planning Software-Assisted Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt: A Technical Modification
CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt
- Three-dimensional imaging
- Industry Sectors