, Volume 35, Issue 10, pp 2238-2244
Date: 09 Jul 2011

Short-Term and Mid-Term Control of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus by Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy with Ileal Interposition

Rent the article at a discount

Rent now

* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.

Get Access

Abstract

Background

Standard surgical procedures used for the treatment of morbid obesity constitute optional treatments for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). The aim of the present study was to evaluate the short- and mid-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (SG) with ileal interposition (II) in T2DM patients (n = 30).

Methods

The variables investigated were the feasibility of the procedure, remission/alleviation of the disease, morbidity, mortality, and weight loss. Patients were followed during a period of 6–18 months after surgery.

Results

The average time required for the surgical procedure was 181.47 ± 53.23 min, and the mean duration of postoperative hospital stay was 3.17 ± 0.79 days. There were no intraoperative complications, and none of the patients required conversion to open surgery. Postoperatively, all patients experienced a significant weight loss: i.e., the mean body mass index (BMI) values prior to and following surgery were significantly different (P = 0.0001). Postoperative levels of glycosylated hemoglobin, fasting glucose, and fructosamine were significantly reduced (P = 0.0001, 0.0001, and 0.0004, respectively) from those detected prior to surgery. Remission of T2DM was observed in 80% of the patients over the follow-up period, and these subjects no longer required treatment with hypoglycemic drugs or diet. The remaining 20% of patients presented significant improvement in their condition but needed an oral hypoglycemic medication.

Conclusions

Adequate glycemic control, adjustable weight loss, and absence of nutritional deficiencies were the main benefits offered by the surgical intervention. The results indicate that SG/II treatment could be a promising alternative for patients with T2DM.