What Is a Surgical Complication?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Quality assessment programs have been well-established tools in industry for decades. A unique focus on quality assessment significantly contributed to the economic success of Japan in the early 1950s, and this philosophy of steadily improving quality by continuous measurement of specific outcome variables reached the Western world only many years later. In medicine, these principles have been adopted very slowly and are still incomplete in many areas, possibly because of a lack of true competition among health care providers.
Competition remains the most obvious driving force for the development of quality assessment programs. Thus, rising costs associated with constrained resources in most health care systems over the past decade, together with evidence of variations in clinical practice, have triggered growing interest in measuring our work. In the United States, large databases, such as the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) established in 1991 to study surgical p ...
- Clavien PA, Sanabria JR, Strasberg SM (1992) Proposed classification of complications of surgery with examples of utility in cholecystectomy. Surgery 111:518–526
- Clavien PA, Sanabria JR, Mentha G et al (1992) Recent results of elective open cholecystectomy in a North American and a European center. Comparison of complications and risk factors. Ann Surg 216:618–626 CrossRef
- Clavien PA, Camargo CA Jr, Croxford R et al (1994) Definition and classification of negative outcomes in solid organ transplantation. Application in liver transplantation. Ann Surg 220:109–120 CrossRef
- Dindo D, Demartines N, Clavien PA (2004) Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey. Ann Surg 240:205–213 CrossRef
- Permpongkosol S, Link RE, Su LM et al (2007) Complications of 2,775 urological laparoscopic procedures: 1993–2005. J Urol 177:580–585 CrossRef
- Yi NJ, Suh KS, Cho JY et al (2007) Three-quarters of right liver donors experienced postoperative complications. Liver Transpl 13:797–806 CrossRef
- Tamura S, Sugawara Y, Kaneko J et al (2006) Systematic grading of surgical complications in live liver donors according to Clavien’s system. Transpl Int 19:982–987 CrossRef
- Khalaf H, Al-Sofayan M, El-Sheikh Y et al (2007) Donor outcome after living liver donation: a single-center experience. Transplant Proc 39:829–834 CrossRef
- Patel S, Orloff M, Tsoulfas G et al (2007) Living-donor liver transplantation in the United States: identifying donors at risk for perioperative complications. Am J Transplant 7:2344–2349 CrossRef
- Tefekli A, Karadag MA, Tepeler K et al (2008) Classification of percutaneous nephrolithotomy complications using the modified Clavien grading system: looking for a standard. Eur Urol 53:184–190 CrossRef
- Vollmer CM Jr, Pratt W, Vanounou T et al (2007) Quality assessment in high-acuity surgery: volume and mortality are not enough. Arch Surg 142:371–380 CrossRef
- Atug F, Castle EP, Srivastav SK et al (2006) Prospective evaluation of concomitant lymphadenectomy in robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: preliminary analysis of outcomes. J Endourol 20:514–518 CrossRef
- Kaul S, Savera A, Badani K et al (2006) Functional outcomes and oncological efficacy of Vattikuti Institute prostatectomy with Veil of Aphrodite nerve-sparing: an analysis of 154 consecutive patients. BJU Int 97:467–472 CrossRef
- Gonzalgo ML, Pavlovich CP, Trock BJ et al (2005) Classification and trends of perioperative morbidities following laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. J Urol 174:135–139; discussion 139 CrossRef
- Woodfield JC, Pettigrew RA, Plank LD et al (2007) Accuracy of the surgeons’ clinical prediction of perioperative complications using a visual analog scale. World J Surg 31(10):1912–1920 CrossRef
- Clavien PA, Dindo D (2007) Surgeon’s intuition: is it enough to assess patients’ surgical risk? World J Surg 31:1909–1911 CrossRef
- Sokol DK, Wilson J (2008) What is a surgical complication? World J Surg, Feb 12. doi: 10.1007/s00268-008-9471-6
- What Is a Surgical Complication?
World Journal of Surgery
Volume 32, Issue 6 , pp 939-941
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors