A Misleading Meta-analysis of Seprafilm
- Lena Holmdahl
- … show all 1 hide
I am writing to express my dissenting view and concerns regarding the validity of a recent meta-analysis published in the Journal by Zeng et al  regarding the safety and effectiveness of Seprafilm.
When performing a systematic review and meta-analysis, obviously the net has to be cast wide to ensure that relevant information is being considered. However, in this case the authors cast the net so wide that they included a different fish. G-HA/CMC is not Seprafilm . It is a different product, with a different chemical composition, and different physical characteristics, and the data are not applicable to Seprafilm.
Prompted by this concern, we undertook a reanalysis excluding the data from the trial with G-HA/CMC, using the same methodology as used in the published meta-analysis. This reanalysis lead to different results. Additionally, we were unable to reproduce the numbers in two of the analyses in the Forest plot. These discrepancies did not seem to be explained by the exclusion of ...
- Zeng Q, Yu Z, You J, Zhang Q (2007) Efficacy and safety of Seprafilm for preventing postoperative abdominal adhesion: systematic review and meta-analysis. World J Surg 31:2125–2132 CrossRef
- Cohen Z, Senagore AJ, Dayton MT et al (2005) Prevention of postoperative abdominal adhesions by a novel, glycerol/sodium hyaluronate/carboxymethylcellulose-based bioresorbable membrane: a prospective, randomized, evaluator-blinded multicenter study. Dis Colon Rectum 48:1130–1139 CrossRef
- Beck DE, Cohen Z, Fleshman JW et al (2003) A prospective, randomized, multicenter, controlled study of the safety of Seprafilm adhesion barrier in abdominopelvic surgery of the intestine. Dis Colon Rectum 46:1310–1319 CrossRef
- A Misleading Meta-analysis of Seprafilm
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
World Journal of Surgery
Volume 32, Issue 8 , pp 1888-1889
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Lena Holmdahl (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Research, Genzyme Corporation, 55 Cambridge Parkway, Cambridge, MA, 02142, USA