Does Intraperitoneal Therapy Have a Role in Recurrent Ovarian Cancer?
- Joanna M. Cain
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The publication of the increased survival of women with initial intraperitoneal plus intravenous therapy for optimally debulked ovarian cancer over intravenous alone by the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG)  has raised the issue of which women might benefit from an intraperitoneal approach beyond initial therapy. However, the significant gastrointestinal, neurotoxic, and hematologic side effects have limited the passion to make this mandatory first-line treatment for women with optimally debulked disease .
Cotte et al.  raise the question of whether secondary cytoreduction and immediate intraperitoneal therapy might also benefit women with ovarian cancer that is recurrent or resistant to initial platinum-containing therapy. Their study used the theoretical advantage of intraperitoneal therapy by an introperative intraperitoneal infusion and hyperthermia after completing a second or third look and debulking procedure. It is unclear what the final absorbed dose of cisplatinum is i
- Armstrong DK, Bundy B, Wenzel L, et al. (2006) Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 354:34–43 CrossRef
- Rodriquez AO (2007) Ambivalency at the bedside: intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 19:1–2 CrossRef
- Cotte E, Glehen O, Mohamed F, et al. (2007) Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia for chemoresistant and recurrent advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: a prospective study of 81 patients. World J of Surg
- Does Intraperitoneal Therapy Have a Role in Recurrent Ovarian Cancer?
World Journal of Surgery
Volume 31, Issue 9 , p 1821
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Joanna M. Cain (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Center for Women’s Health, Oregon Health & Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Drive, L-466, Portland, Oregon, 97239, USA