Management of Right Colon Diverticulitis: A 10-Year Experience
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Controversies abound as regards the optimal treatment for patients with diverticulitis of the right colon.
This is a retrospective review of 113 patients with a diagnosis of right colonic diverticulitis who received treatment at the China Medical University Hospital from July 1994 to June 2004.
Medical therapy was undertaken in 56 patients diagnosed preoperatively with uncomplicated diverticulitis. All but one patient was successfully treated with bowel rest and antibiotics. Of the 51 patients with a preoperative diagnosis of acute appendicitis, 32 received appendectomy along with postoperative antibiotic therapy, 8 received diverticulectomy in addition to appendectomy, and 11 received colectomy. In all, 17 patients required right hemicolectomy or ileocecal resection due to diverticulitis-related complications or suspected malignancy. Of the 87 (56−1+32) patients who responded to conservative treatment, 11 developed recurrent diverticulitis. All 11 patients were successfully treated with medical therapy, and 2 subsequently received elective right hemicolectomy. Of the 9 patients who received medical treatment alone at the second attack, 2 suffered a third attack. Both were successfully managed with medical therapy.
For uncomplicated diverticulitis of the right colon diagnosed preoperatively, antibiotic therapy with bowel rest is an effective treatment. Once it is encountered during surgery for presumed acute appendicitis, a conservative approach involving prophylactic appendectomy and postoperative antibiotics is recommended. For patients with recurrent diseases, medical treatment is still safe and efficient. Colectomy is indicated when complications occur or when malignancy is strongly suspected.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Oudenhoven LF, Koumans RK, Puylaert JB. Right colonic diverticulitis: US and CT findings—new insights about frequency and natural history. Radiology 1998;208:611–618
- Arrington P, Judd CS Jr. Cecal diverticulitis. Am J Surg 1981;142:56–59 CrossRef
- Markham NI, Li AK. Diverticulitis of the right colon—experience from Hong Kong. Gut 1992;33:547–549
- Sugihara K, Muto T, Morioka Y, et al. Diverticular disease of the colon in Japan. A review of 615 cases. Dis Colon Rectum 1984;27:531–537
- Katz DS, Lane MJ, Ross BA, et al. Diverticulitis of the right colon revisited. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1998;171:151–156
- Jang HJ, Lim HK, Lee SJ, et al. Acute diverticulitis of the cecum and ascending colon: thin-section helical CT findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1999;172:601–604
- Komuta K, Yamanaka S, Okada K, et al. Toward therapeutic guidelines for patients with acute right colonic diverticulitis. Am J Surg 2004;187:233–237 CrossRef
- Graham SM, Ballantyne GH. Cecal diverticulitis. A review of the American experience. Dis Colon Rectum 1987;30:821–826
- Lo CY, Chu KW. Acute diverticulitis of the right colon. Am J Surg 1996;171:244–246 CrossRef
- Lane JS, Sarkar R, Schmit PJ, et al. Surgical approach to cecal diverticulitis. J Am Coll Surg 1999;188:629–634 CrossRef
- Ngoi SS, Chia J, Goh MY, et al. Surgical management of right colon diverticulitis. Dis Colon Rectum 1992;35:799–802 CrossRef
- Chiu PW, Lam CY, Chow TL, et al. Conservative approach is feasible in the management of acute diverticulitis of the right colon. ANZ J Surg 2001;71:634–636 CrossRef
- Fang JF, Chen RJ, Lin BC, et al. Aggressive resection is indicated for cecal diverticulitis. Am J Surg 2003;185:135–140 CrossRef
- Harada RN, Whelan TJ Jr. Surgical management of cecal diverticulitis. Am J Surg 1993;166:666–669 CrossRef
- Riseman JA, Wichterman K. Evaluation of right hemicolectomy for unexpected cecal mass. Arch Surg 1989;124:1043–1044
- Poon RT, Chu KW. Inflammatory cecal masses in patients with appendicitis. World J Surg 1999;23:713–716 CrossRef
- Fischer MG, Farkas AM. Diverticulitis of the cecum and ascending colon. Dis Colon Rectum 1984;27:454–458
About this Article
- Management of Right Colon Diverticulitis: A 10-Year Experience
World Journal of Surgery
Volume 30, Issue 10 , pp 1929-1934
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors