Adverse Effects on Alfeios River Basin and an Integrated Management Framework Based on Sustainability
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Alfeios River, the longest and highest flow-rate river in Peloponnisos, constitutes an important water resource and ecosystem in Greece. In the present study, human activities in the Alfeios River Basin are described, and their impacts on water quality and the ecosystem are analyzed; effects resulting from interventions on river geomorphology between Flokas Dam and the river delta are determined. These actions have caused significant adverse impacts on the infrastructure (the dam, railroad, and road bridges), the level of aquifer water table and area water uses, and the aquatic and riparian ecosystem. A general integrated management strategy is formulated and a master management plan is proposed for resolving management problems in river basins. The plan considers local conditions and national requirements and complies with the European Communities legislation; it would help prevent further basin deterioration, improve water quality, and protect water resources and ecosystems in the area in accordance to sustainable development. The Alfeios River Basin serves as a case study in the development of the plan.
- Argiropoulos, P. (1960) The morphologic evolution of the rivers of the Greek realm and the influence of the transported sediments on the relief of the country. Praktika tis Akadimias Athinon (Minutes of the Academy of Athens) (in Greek) 34: pp. 33-43
- Bakalis, N., P. Markantonatos, G. Gianatos, E. Zalahori, N. Robos, and L. Panetsos. 1995. Environmental impact assessment study for the relocation of the Alfeios River bank in Arkadhias Province, Stages I, II, III. A study conducted for the Public Power Corporation, Hydroelectric Projects Development Department, Athens (in Greek).
- Bernauer, T. (2002) Explaining success and failure in international river management. Aquatic Sciences 64: pp. 1-19
- Burton, J. (1995) A framework for integrated river basin management. Water Science and Technology 32: pp. 139-144
- Dafis, S., E. Papastergiadou, K. Georghiou, D. Babalonas, T. Georgiadis, M. Papageorgiou, T. Lazaridou, and V. Tsiaoussi. 1996. Directive 92/43/EEC. The Greek ‘Habitat’ Project NATURA 2000: An overview. Life Contract B4-3200/94/756. Commission of the European Communities DG XI. The Goulandris Natural History Museum—Greek Biotope/Wetland Centre, Thessaloniki.
- Dalezios, I., O. Ballassopoulos, and D. Sarletakos. 1977. Pollution of the Alfeios River area. Confidential report of the work team for the protection of the environment. Agricultural Bank of Greece, Athens (in Greek).
- EC (European Commission). 2000. Towards sustainable and strategic management of water resources. Regional Policy of the European Union Study 31. Office of the Official Publications of the European Communities, Louxembourg.
- ECOSTAT (Ecological Status). 2003. Overall approach to the classification of ecological status and ecological potential. Water Framework Directive; Common Implementation Strategy; Working Group 2 A; Ecological Status (ECOSTAT). Final version agreed at the Water Directors’ meeting on 24–25 November 2003 in Rome. Available at http://forum.europa.eu.int/Public/irc/env/wfd/library.
- HMA (Hellenic Ministry of Agriculture). 1997. River and lake water quality characteristics, water sector of western Peloponnisos, Alfeios River water quality characteristics 1983– 97. Directorate of Land Reclamation Works, Department of Protection of Irrigation Water Recources, Athens (in Greek). Available at http://www.minagric.gr/greek/2.9.3.alfeios.html.
- HMEPPPW (Hellenic Ministry of the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works). 1997. Protection works of Flokas Dam of the Alfeios River. General Directorate of Public Works, Directorate of Land Reclamation, Athens, Appendix 6 and Appendix 8 (in Greek).
- Howard, J. R., Ligthelm, M. E., Tanner, A. (1995) The development of a water quality management plan for the Mgeni River catchment. Water Science and Technology 32: pp. 217-226
- Kallinskis, A. 1957. The big reclamation works to develop the Alfeios river basin, as well as the lakes of Agoulinitsa and Mouria. Summary Report. Ministry of Transportation and Public Works, Hydraulics Section, Direction of Studies, Athens (in Greek).
- Logan, P., Furse, M. (2002) Preparing for the European Water Framework Directive— making the links between habitat and aquatic biota. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 12: pp. 425-437
- Lorenz, C. M., Gilbert, A. J., Cofino, W. P. (2001) Environmental auditing: Indicators for transboundary river management. Environmental Management 28: pp. 115-129
- Manariotis, I. D., and P. C. Yannopoulos. 2001. Environmental impact of riverine activities on Alfios River and measures toward sustainability. Pages 131–139 in V. A. Tsihrintzis and P. Tsalides (eds.) Proceedings of an international conference Ecological Protection of the Planet Earth I, 5–8 June 2001, Xanthi.
- Mance, G., Raven, P. J., Bramley, M. E. (2002) Integrated river basin management in England and Wales: A policy perspective. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 12: pp. 339-346
- MDDWPR (Ministry of Development, Directorate of Water and Physical Resources). 1996. A plan of project management of country water resources. Ministry of Development, Directorate of Water and Physical Resources, Athens (in Greek).
- Morris, G. L., Fan, J. (1997) Reservoir sedimentation handbook: Design and management of dams, reservoirs, and watersheds for sustainable use. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Newson, M. D. (2002) Geomorphological concepts and tools for sustainable river ecosystem management. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 12: pp. 365-379
- Newson, M. D., Newson, C. L. (2000) Geomorphology, ecology and river channel habitat: Mesoscale approaches to basin-scale challenges. Progress in Physical Geography 24: pp. 195-217
- Nicholas, A. P., Woodward, J. C., Christopoulos, G., Macklin, M. G. Modelling and monitoring river response to environmental change: The impact of dam construction and alluvial gravel extraction on bank erosion rates in the lower Alfios basin, Greece. In: Brown, A. G., Quine, T. A. eds. (1999) Fluid processes and environmental change. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Shin, P. K. S. (1999) Planning for water management in the Daqinghe river basin, northern China. Environmental Management 24: pp. 85-97
- Thorne, C. R., Hey, R. D., Newson, M. D. (1997) Applied fluvial geomorphology for engineering and management. John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex
- UN (United Nations). 1992. Report of the United Nations Conference on environment and Development, Annex I: Rio declaration on environment and development. A/CONF.151/26 (Vol. I). United Nations, New York. Available at http://www.un.org/documents/ga/conf151/aconf15126-1annex1.htm.
- Vossos, I., T. Kallitsis, and V. Xipolitidis. 1993. Alfeios River pollution sources and level. Diploma thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, Patras (in Greek).
- Our common future. Oxford University Press, London
- WFD (Water Framework Directive). 2000. Directive 2000/60/EC, Establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy. Official Journal of the European Communities L327, 22.12.2000, Vol. 43:1–72.
- WG (Working Group). 2002. Guidance on public participation in relation to the water framework directive; active involvement, consultation, and public access to information. Final version after the Water Directors’ meeting (Working Group 2.9). Available at http://forum.europa.eu.int/Public/irc/env/wfd/library.
- Yannopoulos, P. C., and I. Tsivoglou. 1992. Impact of riverine activities on Alfeios River water quality. Pages 197–204 in S. Kaimaki (ed.). Proceedings of the 1st National Congress of the Greek Committee for the Water Resources Management, 18–20 November 1992, Athens (in Greek).
- Adverse Effects on Alfeios River Basin and an Integrated Management Framework Based on Sustainability
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 261-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- River basin management
- Environmental impacts
- Bank erosion
- Water resource degradation
- Ecosystem deterioration
- Sustainable strategy
- Industry Sectors