Depleting Fish Resources, Declining Fishing Communities, and the State Revitalization Project in Korea
- So-Min Cheong
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper reviews recent declines in fish resources and fishing communities in Korea, evaluates major factors of declines, and examines a subsequent community-based revitalization project. Factors leading to depleting fish resources include global regulations, technological advances in fishing, national economic development policies, land reclamation projects, and pollution. The negative economic and societal impact of depleting fish resources is addressed using demographic and income levels of the communities. In response, the state initiated revitalization projects and invested in local fishing cooperatives promoting community-based management. The result has been less than effective as it led to mismanagement of investment and created an attitude of dependence on the government for financial assistance.
- Agesa, R. (2001) Migration and the urban to rural earnings difference: a sample selection approach. Economic Development & Cultural Change 49(4): pp. 847-866
- Brosius, J., Charles, Z., Tsing, A. (1998) Representing communities: histories and politics of community-based resource management. Society and Natural Resources 11: pp. 157-168
- Cheong, S. (2003) Privatizing tendencies: fishing and tourism in Korea. Marine Policy 27(1): pp. 371-390
- Gibson, C., Koontz, T. (1998) When “community” is not enough: institutions and values in community-based forest management in southern Indiana. Human Ecology 26(4): pp. 621-647 CrossRef
- Hong, S. (1991) Assessment of coastal zone issues in the Republic of Korea. Coastal Management 19: pp. 391-415
- Jung, Ki-Hwan, and others. 1996. Euchojiyuk gwangwanggaebale gwanhan yeongu [A study on fishery village tourism in Korea]. Korea Research Institute for Agricultural Economy. Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Korea.
- Kang, J. (1997) “The governance of Korea’s urban coastal zone: the political economy of environment and development policy.” Ph.D. dissertation University of Deleware.
- Kim, D., Chikashi, K. (1997) A study on the development and reorganization of the stow-net fishery in Korea. Susankyungyoungjip [Fisheries Economics Journal] 27(1): pp. 65-82
- Kim, S. (1999) Echongye Geodo-eu Sahoekyoungjejuk bikyoyeongoo [Socio-economic analysis of Geodo, a fishing village cooperative]. Hanghasa Publisher, Korea
- Kim, Y. (1998) An investigation on the status of fishing villages and the attitudes of fishermen. Susankyungyoungjip [Fisheries Economics Journal] 29(1): pp. 89-120
- KMI (Korea Maritime Institute). 1999. Euchon Chonghap Gaebal Saup-e Daehan Pyonga Mit Hyoyulgeok Choojin-e Gwanhan Yeongu. [The evaluation of fishing village revitalization projects (1994–1998) and effective measures in the future. Report for Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs, Korea Maritime Institute, Korea.
- KMI (Korea Maritime Institute). 2000. Haeyang gwangwang jinheungeul uwihan chonghap gyehoek sulip yeongu [Study on marine tourism comprehensive plan]. Korea Maritime Institute, Korea.
- MOMAF (Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs). 1999. Haeyang chongchak tongye jaryo [Statistics on marine industries and fisheries]. Government report. Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs, Korea.
- MOMAF (Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs). 2000. Gancheok sa-up. [Land reclamation projects]. government report. Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs, Korea.
- MOMAF (Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs) 2001. Retrieved 9 June 2001 from http://www.momaf.go.kr
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2001 Susantamgu [Fisheries investigation]. National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, Korea.
- NFRDI (National Fisheries Research and Development Institute). 2000. Guklip susanjinheoungwon sa-up bogoseo [1999 NFRDI report]. National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, Korea.
- KNSO (Korea National Statistical Office). 2000. Euga ingu chosa. [Demographics in the fisheries sector]. Korea National Statistical Office, Korea
- Pak, M., Joo, M. (2002) Korea’s fisheries industry and government financial transfers. Marine Policy 26(6): pp. 429-435
- Pannell, S. (1997) Managing the discourse of resource management: the case of sasi from ‘southeast’ Maluku, Indonesia. Oceania 67: pp. 289-309
- Yi, G. 2000. Wetland conversion disputes in Korea: proceedings of the APEC coastal zone management forum, September 2000. Korea.
- Depleting Fish Resources, Declining Fishing Communities, and the State Revitalization Project in Korea
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 382-390
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Fish resources
- Community-based management
- Industry Sectors
- So-Min Cheong (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Geography, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
- 2. Geography Department, Texas A&M University, Texas, USA